Find
Notify
Tools

elevation adjusment knob loose leupold
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just bought a new FX-3 6x42.
The windage knob has no play back and forth and is nice and tight.
The elevation knob has play. The clicks seem solid, but the cap has about a 1/2 click rotational play back and forth before engaging and actually rotating the internals to cause an audible click. It feels more like the internals are tight but just the cap it's self is loose.

Is anyone else's leupold VX-3 or FX-3 like this?

I'll probably take it to the range and just see how it shoots, but if this is not normal, I'll send it into leupold.

is there a way to take the cap off and re-seat it?

Posts: 973 | Location: Rapid City, SD | Registered: 08 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I assume you tried to tighten the retaining screws, right? Another reason I have switched to Nightforce for my long range rifles; I get tired of those small screws coming loose when I dial up.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
Hopefully, you didn't buy one of the cheap counterfeits from China. Leupold will confirm or deny that with a phone call and the serial number.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
That's not normal. Send it in to Leupold and they'll fix it for free. If it's an easy fix as a previous poster noted (tightening retaining screws) then give it a shot. Otherwise I'd send it back to Leupold.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I took it to the range and it shot tight groups once it settled in. Then if I made adjustments, they were off a bit and the groups opend up quite a bit until it settled in again.
I did just end up sending it into Leupold just to be sure and am just waiting for it.

Posts: 973 | Location: Rapid City, SD | Registered: 08 July 2005Reply With Quote