Find
Notify
Tools

Leupold 61470 - RX-IV Rangefinder?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of POP
posted
Anyone played with them. Are they any good. Do they acually range at over 1000?
How does it measure up with the Leica and swaro?

My blog: Please Comment and Follow
https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com

Posts: 3863 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
POP,

I have not personally looked thru one or used one, but I have had many customers tell me that it was a waste of money. It was too complicated and for the less money they could have went with another brand that would do the same thing. This not my opinion, just what I have heard.

Posts: 750 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 15 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sdeshazo
posted Hide Post
I've got the RX II & love it. I've had friends say it's to complicated, but it's two damm buttons, if you cannot work this rangefinder you should not be carrying a gun.

Posts: 224 | Location: St Augustine, Florida | Registered: 07 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
So which one?

Bushnell 1500
Leica 1200
Nikon
burris?????????????????????????
can not afford the swaro.....

Posts: 3863 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I personally like the Nikon Monarch Gold 1200. I have never seen or used the Leica but have heard good things about it.

Posts: 750 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 15 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jon Jackoviak:
POP,

I have not personally looked thru one or used one, but I have had many customers tell me that it was a waste of money. It was too complicated and for the less money they could have went with another brand that would do the same thing. This not my opinion, just what I have heard.

That’s interesting because when they first appeared my initial thought was: Oh, boy, another gadget with zillions of features I will never use. Just like my cell phone and computer!

In my opinion if a range finder is more complicated than point and click I don’t have any need for it, and I certainly don’t need 13 friggin reticles to choose from. What’s next? add in an MP3 player and head phones, or maybe interent access so you can check your email while you’re out hunting? Confused

I like the looks of the new Leica, CR model I think. I have an older Leica 1200 and love it. Very simple, reliable, accurate, and rugged.

Posts: 466 | Location: South West USA | Registered: 11 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Man!

How can one try these out and pick out the best without buying them all?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
FWIW, The US Army just chose the new Leica CRF 1200 rangefinder after testing just about all the ones out there for highest reliability, lowest failure and strictest tolerances. It will be issued as part of the Sapper Squad leader tool kit (combat engineers).

Posts: 466 | Location: South West USA | Registered: 11 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have only seen the 2 version and it did not range as advertised.

This year I went with the Nikon Monarch 800 and it is very good for hunting purposes - small, clear, and simple. It was reliable out past 600 yards in just fair conditions. I figured out that keeping the cord around my neck and the rangefinder in the shirt pocket was very effective for carry and use.

I like the Leica but don't think it is as handy as the little Monarch.

Posts: 299 | Location: California | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My co-worker/shooting buddy bought one of the Leupold rangefinders and we were shooting prairie dogs one afternoon and he tried to range a steer that was grazing in a pasture that was probably about six hundred yards away and it would not give a reading, and that was in good light conditions. He sent it back to Cabelas for refund and bought a Leica RF1200 from Bearbasin Outfitters that was on sale at a very good price ($459+ shipping).

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1191 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Luckyducker:
My co-worker/shooting buddy bought one of the Leupold rangefinders and we were shooting prairie dogs one afternoon and he tried to range a steer that was grazing in a pasture that was probably about six hundred yards away and it would not give a reading, and that was in good light conditions. He sent it back to Cabelas for refund and bought a Leica RF1200 from Bearbasin Outfitters that was on sale at a very good price ($459+ shipping).

What are "good" light conditions? Bright light degrades rangefinders quite rapidly. They work best in dim light.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7575 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote