New
Find
Notify
Tools

.22-250 Scope Choice?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just ordered a .22-250 target weight barrel for my Blaser R93. I plan to use it for hunting varmints. Some small, distant, and in failing light (stretching post dusk and pre-dawn as far as possible). I plan to stick to illuminated reticle scopes only for all applications in the future.

Swarovski seems to have the best reputation for customer service among the premium European scopes and I like the 6 to 1 magnification capability of the Z6i. I want at least 4-1/2x or lower on the low side with the most field of view I can get. I want at least 16x on the high side. At my age, I probably no longer have a 7mm exit pupil, so in addition to a big objective I also need the best lense and coating technology for low light. I would really like BDC capability like the Swarovski Ballistic Turret – which is only available on a few models so far.

The Z6i 3-18x50 meets my magnification wants but at 15x only has a 3.3mm exit pupil.

The Z6i 2.5-15x56 isn’t quite 16x on top but gives a slightly better 3.7mm exit pupil at 15x.

Both are available with the Ballistic Turret.

Any opinions on which is the best trade off as a varmint scope? Any idea how much better these would be in low light than the Z6i 2.5-15x44? Any better choices from Zeiss, S&B, etc?

Posts: 259 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, in the Zeiss Conquest if you have to have the 4.5 on the low end, the max is 14x. If you can live with 6.5 on the low end, the max is 20x (50mm obj)
I have both, and the 6.5 doesn't bother me at all, even when I have some close encounter varmints, say 50 to 60 yards....the Zeiss ranging reticles are really good, I like them best of any I have.

Optically the Conquests are great, I REALLY think the Conquest is the best value in a rifle scope that there is. I have a couple Z-6's, and I like them, but they are not worth the difference in price to me, I woulld probably go the Conquest for that application if I did it again--a curious thing which I have NEVER had an issue with before, is that the reticle in my Z-6 is TOO thin....my hunting partner has the same scope and thinks so also, it is/was just their standard 'plex' reticle, the first year the Z-6 was out, maybe two years ago.....

Good shooting!

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Brazos, I just recalled that the new Minox scopes have a 4x20 option! Here is the link to the thread from Doug at Cameraland about the new Minox scopes. Minox Scope Thread

I think this fits your specs like a glove! I can tell you that as soon as I start working again, I will be ordering several of these scopes, I have some Minox binos and they are INCREDIBLY good, especially considering the price! The glass for these scopes is the same as in Zeiss scopes--pretty sure Doug covers that in the thread--I think these would really be worth checking out!

One of Us
Picture of Claret_Dabbler
posted Hide Post
Jack, I have a 22/250 barrel on order for a new Blaser, I should get it in the next few weeks.

For this barrel, I have bought a Swaro Z6i, 3-18x50, BT's, IR, the lot - in a 4a reticule.

It is an amazing scope. I have it temporarily on my 260rem, just to play with and do some load development. The daylight dot is superb. I just forget about the cross hairs and put the dot on the target. The dot is about 1cm (0.36") in diameter on a target 100 metres away. I was using it this morning in bright sunlight with the sun low in the sky. The dot naturally draws you eye and you tune everything else out.

I would not sweat the details of exit pupil etc. You will only be using the top end of the magnification range in normal daylight conditions, and the light transmission on this scope is awesome.

For low light, turn it down below 10x and prepare to be amazed.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not out to get you....

Posts: 1484 | Location: Northern Ireland | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Claret Dabbler,

I think you just nailed it. I'd already decided that I wanted any future scopes to have illuminated reticles, bullet drop compensator, and rail mount. I think the Swarovski Z6i 3-18x50 may be as close to ideal as it gets for a .22-250.

By the way, I'm a Claret/Bourdeaux fan myself. Becker Vinyards makes a tolerable Claret right here in Texas.

If you lived in Texas your .22-250 and .260 Rem would be the perfect pair. We have Mule deer, whitetail deer, antelope, and wild hogs. All of these are perfect for the .260. I went with a .270 in that roll due to it being so much more common here. I plan to use a Z6i 1.7-10x42 for that.

Posts: 259 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jack, didn't catch that IR detail. I have the z-6, but not illuminated and it is really great, the only other thing maybe to look at with IR would be some of the Nightforce stuff....I prefer my Z-6, I haven't weighed them vs the Nightforce, but I would be surprised if the Swaro wasn't lighter as well as me preferring the optics.

Good shooting!

One of Us
Picture of SIKA98K
posted Hide Post
You will find the Swarovski lighter than the Lightforce.My Swaro PV6X24X50 is 670 grams against 900grms for a Nightforce of comparable magnification.
A professional deer manager here has Swaro,s on all his rifles,nuff said.

Posts: 456 | Location: Ireland | Registered: 12 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you can stand the extra weight, I really like the Nightforce scopes. The military uses them for a reason. Plus, they are about $700 less than the Swaros.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote