New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scope for Ruger #1 7x57
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
need scope help for a new Ruger Craig Boddington Edition #1 in 7x57.
The rifle is compact and would like to keep it light as possible.

Narrowed my choices to:

Leupold VX-3 1.5-5x20
Nikon Monarch African 1.5-4x20
Nikon Monarch 2.5-8x32
Zeiss 2.5-8x32

Posts: 66 | Location: georgia | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
of those options I'd take the Zeiss. A very valid alternative is the Leupold Compact series.

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2314 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't like 20 mm objectives for anything other than daylight dangerous game hunting (which I haven't done and almost certainly won't, so, in short, I don't like 20mm objectives and I have used a Leupie in one fairly extensively), so, of your listed choices, without question, I'd take the Zeiss or possibly, if it suits you, a Luepie 1.75-6x32 or the Leupie 2.5-8x36 are both excellent other scopes to consider. Just for example the 2.5-8x36 is smaller and lighter than the Zeiss in every dimension except the objective diameter which is .2 larger. Leupie wt 11.4 oz, Zeiss Conquest 12.2 oz, length Leupie 11.4 inches, ZC 13.75 inches.

You're getting slightly better glass with the Zeiss but you're getting a bigger objective and lighter with the Leupie, your call. FWIW many PHs who use their scopes for their livelihood everyday love the Leupie 2.5-8x36.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PS: I'm not trying to get in a pissing match about this, but my experience with the compact Leupies has not been all that wonderful, to gain a small amount in less wt and size, you give up way too much in optical ability to suit me. JMNSHO.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeeze Gato after all the previous posts this one almost sounds like Stonecreek. I agree completely btw.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
this one almost sounds like Stonecreek

I'm injured, if not fatally........ Big Grin........the difference is that on optics Stonecreek is like the broken clock, even it's right twice a day. Big Grin dancing

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yea but I've been fascinated by the repartee. Two guys that both obviously know quite a bit about a subject generally come up with completely opposite conclusions.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The honest differences are that Stonecreek has almost ZERO real time experience with Euro scopes and holds a lot of prejudices against them based on wrong information based on those minimal experiences. OTOH, I own and use every major brand of scopes, usually multiple examples, and many minor brands. I don't own many really cheap scopes because you usually get more or less what you pay for in optics. I don't know how many scopes I own but it is in the high dozens at least. I'm not an optical engineer, but I have slept at Holiday Inns or somewhere close......

His famous "eyebox" comparison is one, just for fun, I compared the eyebox on a Leupold with that of a Kahles, guess which won? Hint: first letter is closer to start of alphabet.

OTOH, Stonecreek and I have an ongoing online friendship which I value greatly. Our disagreements, in spite of his optical ignorance Big Grin, are purely in fun.

AFA as my recommending Leupies above, they are excellent scopes, especially at their price point, and have many good features. Like anything, it just depends on what you value most......most people don't need, or want, the very small differences in optical performance that you get for a lot more money (Zeiss Conquests are an exception, where you get a slightly better scope IN SOME RESPECTS for a bit more money)........that said, for some people in optics, the old quote, paraphrased, comes to mind, "I want very little. I only want the very best and there is so little of that."

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess you made my point in that you get a little better optics for a lot more money with the Euros. To me it just hasn't been worth it for riflescopes. Binoculars are a different matter. I'll have to try a Zeiss Conquest scope sometime, but I can't see me buying a Kahle or Swarovski scope anytime soon.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For my hunting in the swamps up here, I use a fixed 4x Zeiss Conquest and a fixed 4x S&B on my 7x57's.
I'm not a variable fan for big game hunting rifles.
For target and varmints, I do use variables.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty much a Leupold user all the way and don't find them lacking. The UltraLite 2.5 w/ German No.1 (3 pointed post arrangement) is compact and in brush/swamps, etc., very easy to pick up even in shaded/dark background and does well for close in/snap shooting situations. Odds are good that if you miss the shot it is not the scope or rifles fault.

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had Leupolds VXII 1-4 on my Ruger M77 in 7x57 for many years.It was a great combination.I might switch it back.

Posts: 369 | Location: Adirondacks | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote