THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM OPTICS FORUM

Page 1 2 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The laser rangefinder killed the MilDot ??
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Rusty Marlin
posted Hide Post
I just got off the phone with the manufacturer (importer) of my scope. They use the Army dot with a spacing of 17.8 MIL/degree ( I didn't lead into that answer, that was volenteered with no propting) which comes out to 6400 MILs per circle or 3.375MOA between dots. This is a differnent spacing than the USMC oval which is set up on true MILs with a spacing of 3.43 MILs per dot.

nna Razzer (sorry Big Grin )

It has just occured to me that we are snapping at farts; the differance at 1000 yards is about a 1/2 inch per dot or 5" over the range of the retical. (statistically thats within the accuracy potential of the rifle, so it would be considered statistically indetirminate.)

Logically what you are saying about Mr. Unertl being the first one to put a MIL dot in a scope and how the USMC got true MILs makes perfect sence. As a contractor somebody comes in and says we want a scope with a cross hair divided with evenly spaced dots that subtend 1MIL between then. So he does the math and comes up with 6283 MILS per circle, makes the retical as ordered and the rest is history. Now if he had been an artlillary man he may have very well forgone "doing the math" and just stuck with what he knew, 6400 MILs /circle. Granted that is all congecture but it logically works.

But it all comes down to this, the differnace beween the two is so minor that it doesn't mean squat at small arms ranges.

Rusty's Action Works
Montross VA.
Action work for Cowboy Shooters &
Manufacturer of Stylized Rigby rifle sights. http://i61.photobucket.com/alb.../th_isofrontleft.jpg

Posts: 863 | Location: Northern Neck Va | Registered: 14 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rusty,

Just goes to prove what I always warn people about...All mil-dot reticles are not created equal! Smiler

If they use the system of breaking down a circle into 6,400 parts then 17.8 mils would equal one degree whereas using 6,283 parts to a circle would be 17.5 mils equalling one degree. A difference...but not enough to really worry about.

The actual system used doesn’t have all that much practical effect as long as you know what system your reticle uses and then make the necessary adjustments in your calculations.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty Marlin
posted Hide Post
YUP.

So have we resolved the original question:
"The laser rangefinder killed the MilDot ??"

I vote "No". LOL

Rusty's Action Works
Montross VA.
Action work for Cowboy Shooters &
Manufacturer of Stylized Rigby rifle sights. http://i61.photobucket.com/alb.../th_isofrontleft.jpg

Posts: 863 | Location: Northern Neck Va | Registered: 14 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Until someone comes up with a laser range finder with no lighting,weather and distance limitations then there will always be a need and use for mil-dots and/or other optical range finding systems.

I’m sure this is a totally ridiculous “fearâ€...but if I were in combat, with todays laser guided ordnance being used, I would be uncomfortable having anything on my person emitting a laser beam that might catch the “attention†of a two-thousand pound bomb looking for a target! Smiler

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote