New
Find
Notify
Tools

talley rings
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
IF I had 10 train loads of tallley rings I would use them for dirt filer they are the worst piesesmof shit on the earth.

Posts: 307 | Location: Dye Mound , Texas | Registered: 06 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Texans aren't known for their aptitude...which of course fully fuels the question: "Which part was too hard for you to savvy"? "Righty-tighty or lefty-loosey"?

Stew on it a bit,prior to "answering".

One of Us
Picture of Oday450
posted Hide Post
If you ever develop an opinion on this, please let us know!

Seriously, why do you say this? What about the Talleys is so objectionable?

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult."

Posts: 1313 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland, USA | Registered: 05 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It took 30 rnds. of 416 Rigby to get them on target. When they finaly settled in the rifle shot a nice 1/2 inch group but the bottom of the very expensive Ziess scope had a roll of metal at the back and bottom of the rear ring off the scope tube. Had them on square and tight but they still moved around till they took hold.Hope they stay as I am going to Africa the 9th of August for thirty days.

Posts: 307 | Location: Dye Mound , Texas | Registered: 06 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catosilvaje:
It took 30 rnds. of 416 Rigby to get them on target. When they finaly settled in the rifle shot a nice 1/2 inch group but the bottom of the very expensive Ziess scope had a roll of metal at the back and bottom of the rear ring off the scope tube. Had them on square and tight but they still moved around till they took hold.Hope they stay as I am going to Africa the 9th of August for thirty days.

You are a dumb ass! Nothing wrong with the rings or the company. Dave Talley is one of the best in the business but even he cant prevent a dumb ass from screwing up his scope.

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes I probably am just don't see why a properly set and tightensd set of expensive rings slipped under recoil when it has never happened to me before with other rings.

One of Us
Picture of Jcchartboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catosilvaje:
...When they finaly settled in the rifle
...Had them on square and tight
...but they still moved around till they took hold.

LOL...The least you could do is to pick one complaint and stick with it!

Nothing like a person claiming they knew a set of rings was..."tight"...but..."still moving". Roll Eyes

JC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do you mind stating what type of Zeiss scope? Some of these weigh over 20 oz. The heavier they are the more likely to slip regardless of the ring supplier.
I have a 1.5 X 5 VX3 Leupold in Talley's on a light weight 458 Win Mag and they have been extremely stable with full house 500 gr loads which should produce about the same recoil as your 416 Rigby. I believe the scope is less than 10 oz.

EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
Not sure what you did but expect it was one of the following

1. Tried to put standard Talley Rings on a CZ action…..they are different sizes and not interchangeable.
2. Failed to get one of the rings in the dove tail correctly
3. Over tightened the rings and crushed the scope

Would love to see a photo.

We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

One of Us
Picture of Oday450
posted Hide Post
Please let us know if you ever find the cause. I have them on two 375s, a Whitworth 458 WM, a Win 416 WM and assorted smaller calibers and have had no problems whatsoever.

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult."

Posts: 1313 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland, USA | Registered: 05 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Torque the bottom 2 screws of the rings to 25 inch pounds first. Then the top 2 screws to 15-20 inch pounds. More than this won't hold the scope any better. You can line the rings with a light coat of 3m liquid electrical tape( it comes in a screw off jar with a brush) and the scope will not move ever but can be disassembled with no harm to scope or rings...

Posts: 146 | Location: WI | Registered: 18 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
I don't like them either!

I have had them on a few rifles, CZ, Weatherby, Remington.

I don't know that they are worth it.

Their one piece rings are nice though.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you sir. I will do that.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I too had a scope move in their rings. I talked to Talley at the SHOT Show in 2008 and got some specs for their rings. The guy seemed confused, so I didn't have confidence in his info. I later called them and got different info. I used a Brownell's torque handle to tighten them to their specs. I'll take Badger rings any time over Talley. My Badger rings came with the specs on the box. They also have some good info on their web site.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a set on my CZ 450 Dakota. They have made it three years and over 700 rounds of full house loads without any issues. Ask my Cape Buffalo if he had any issues with them.

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had the men at Swfa in Red Oak TX. put a set of Leupold rings on the rifle. They garrantied they wouldn't move. Will see tommorow. Think I'll use the Talleys for shooting stick washers.Bet they will work for that

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well the LEUPOLD RINGS MOVED TO. Guess the PRO'S can't put them on any better than a stupid Texan. But I got some rubber splicing tape and cut thin strips three each for the top and bottem rings and it held just fine. I guess stupid is as stupid does Rosco

one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
Maybe I was a little harsh, but hate to see good people get trashed like you have done in your original post. I have been using Talley products for years now, and appreciate the customer service I get from them. Any time I have had a problem, the folks at Talley have always gone out of their way to help me out. Maybe others have had bad experiences with them….but I have not.

You have yet to mention the details of your set up. You have now had problems with two types of rings. How about sharing additional info with what you are trying to mount….you may get some help with the problem.

I personally don’t think much of rubber tape on the rings but that is a personal choice.

I would also suggest you give the folks at Talley a call. Dave will probably answer. Tell him the problem you are having and ask him what he thinks needs to be done. If they tell you to Pound Sand….then let us all know.

If he offers a fix to the problem and it works….let us know that too.

Good luck