New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which spotting scope?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi, I already own a Baush&Lomb Elite (same as Bushnell?) 20-60x70, that I bought in the USA 9 years ago; it's a straight model, not so practical, so, I'm decided to buy something better, angled and 20-60, fairly small and lightweight, no more than 1200$. What are your opinions?

Posts: 1459 | Location: north-west Italy | Registered: 16 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Several years ago, I bought a "Big Sky" from Cabela's with the 66 MM objective and the 20-60 adjustable eyepiece. It's been a huge disappointment. At that time they were about $350, now they run $500. Probably not the WORST spotting scope you can buy but certainly not what I expected. Once the day warms at all it picks up nothing but heat waves, it's fuzzy in any but the lowest magnifications and nearly useless in low light.

I'm looking for a replacement and I expect I'm going to have to spend a couple of thousand $$$ for any significant improvement.

So, I don't know what to tell you is a good spotting scope but the Cabela's Big Sky is a bad one.

In my opinion and experience.

Don't let so much reality into your life that there's no room left for dreaming.

Posts: 263 | Location: SE Colorado | Registered: 24 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scubapro
posted Hide Post
Absolutely in Your price range is the Swarovski CTC 30x75, but without a zoom.

if ou add a few more bucks, You could get the CTS 85 where You could add any aoccular of choice - a bit more then Your range, but first class premium quality!

life is too short for not having the best equipment You could buy...
www.titanium-gunworks.de

Posts: 759 | Location: Germany | Registered: 30 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Scubapro, I want an ANGLED scope...

Posts: 1459 | Location: north-west Italy | Registered: 16 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scubapro
posted Hide Post
sorry, i have overread this - then there is the ats 65 as a possibility - but at higher price...

life is too short for not having the best equipment You could buy...
www.titanium-gunworks.de

Posts: 759 | Location: Germany | Registered: 30 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Look at Kowa

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes indeed! Yesterday morning I sent an email to Bearbasin and to Opticplanet, asking for availability of the Kowa TSN663 and the 20-60 ocular; no reply so far. I fear that most of the US optic wholesalers don't like to sell overseas....

One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
Give ol Doug at Cameralandny a call.

Per the website, he's still got one of these in stock. Not small, but superb optics.

http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/site.pl?page=40109

Alternately take a look at the Minox stuff. Final note, he may have some demo's worth looking at.

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2318 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll probably postpone the purchase of a new spotting scope; this morning I've bought an Aimpoint 9000SC, whose price is, here, about $700. Buying both is a too big expense. Anyway, the Leica is tempting.... Thanks for your hints.

One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
Last year I made a fantastic trip to Alaska for Grizzly. I knew I needed to upgrade from my 25 yr old Bushnell Trophy. After visiting several shops and handling numerous brands and models I settled on the Zeiss 14-45x60. It wansn't just the quality of the glass but the ease of fine focus which helped me to decide. The Swaro is a fine piece of glass but I felt the focus adjustment just wasn't up to the Zeiss' ease of use. When I'm looking for a finite amount of focus I want to be able to just lightly touch the focus dial and get it done with out having to put too much on it as the Swaro needs. For me it caused too much shaking at the target or what ever I was looking at and it made it very dificult to fine tune the focus. I found a very nice grizzly and a 62" moose, which I shot at 15 yds with my Ruger NMBH in 45 Colt. I first spotted the bear "9", nine, NINE, miles away. It's a great piece of glass.

Alan

Posts: 1719 | Location: Utah | Registered: 01 June 2004Reply With Quote