Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Binos under $1,000
 Login/Join

posted
I hunt for mule deer and coyotes in western ND and need binos, something under $1,000 any advise???

Posts: 7 | Location: Western North Dakota | Registered: 30 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Their are probably a dozen darn good ones that would fit in your price range. I think the best thing you could do would be to go to a sporting goods store that carries some of the nicer brands and see for yourself which pair will work the best for you. If someone here tells you X brand is the best and you order them, you may hate the way they fit your hands, the overall size of them, the eye pieces, the different features, and the list goes on.....

Steiner, Zeiss, and Nikon Monarch (just to name a few) are less than 1/2 of your max and will hang with the best of them.

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post
I'd look at:
Stokes DLS 8x42mm or 10x42mm
Minox HG 8.5x43mm BR ASPH or 10x43
Bushnell Elite 8x43 or 10x43
Vortex Razor 8x42 or 10x42
Buy from Doug at CameralandNY or from Eagle Optics and you can return them in 30 days if you don't want them.

The Leupold Gold Ring 8x42mm is on sale at various places for $750, a very good value.

The Nikon Monarch ATBs are not even as good as the $200 Olympus Magellan EXWP I.

You learn something new everyday whether you want to or not.

Posts: 1080 | Location: Western Wisconsin | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Lots of great choices in that price range. Even some quite a bit cheaper that are VERY good.

The new Minox HG's are about as good as anything out there to my eye's and half the price. These will be my next pair of Bino's

Another one that's very good are the Pentax DFC SP's I own these and can look through them for hours at a time and never get fatigued. I think these are probably the best value in a pair of Bino's on the market today. Super clean image and very bright. Also a great choice if you were glasses.

The Zeiss Classic's are very good also. I could own a pair these and use'em for life and not feel like I missed anything.

Buy any of the above and you'll have super nice glass and enough left over to take your better half out for a wonderful dinner and a night on the town Smiler

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
JBK,

I am having fun with a Minox 8X33 HG from Doug at Cameraland, and this one definitely is not going back. Great glass, and especially considering price.

I talked to a Minox marketeer at SHOT '06 when they announced the HG models, and he said their aim was to be within a few per cent of the Big Guys in performance at about half the price. My other binos are Swarovski EL 8.5 by the way.

jim

if you're too busy to hunt,you're too busy.

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
i have the nikon buckmaster 10x, and i LOVE them, and dirt cheap

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39683 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of STINGER
posted Hide Post
Don't overlook the Minox brand. The Germans so liked the Minox brand they stole the company from Lithuania during WW2. Minox is a sister company of Leica.

They are a very good optic for the buck.

Bill

Posts: 479 | Location: MINOT, NORTH DAKOTA | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Minox was spun off about two years ago, before that they were Leica's expert on miniturization.

I have also used their 6.5X IF glass and one of their 60 mm variable spotting scopes. Two years ago I bought four of their binos (6.5X to 15X)for our SCI auction. Very nice products.

jim

if you're too busy to hunt,you're too busy.

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just picked up a Bushnell Discoverer bino. Good bang for the buck. My eyesight is better than 20/20.

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
oooppss, they're 10x42.

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted Hide Post
I have Pentax,DSF 8 X 43 and I feel for the dollars they are exceptional glasses

Posts: 1072 | Location: Pine Haven, Wyo | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
$90 Nikon 9x25 Travelite V Binocular fit in my shirt pocket and work as well for me as the most expensive binoculars while hand held.

For the money I put in my next set of binoculars, I could have handed out Travelites to everyone I hunt withFrowner

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote