New
Find
Notify
Tools

Price difference of Spotter??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have been wanting a really good spotting scope for a while. I have two that are ok but not great. At Cabela's just a few minutes from the house I found a Vortex Razor for 1199. The guy said we could go outside and check it out but not being quite ready I declined the offer. It was 16-48-65.
Beth found a Vortex Razor 16-48-65 on Amazon for 799. Is there that much of a markup on these things. From what I can tell it is the same scope. Could somebody elaborate just a bit on this? Don't want to argue over different brands as I am not an expert by any means. I have Leupold on my rifles and same brand for binoculars.

Keep yer powder dry and yer knife sharp.

Posts: 607 | Location: Texas City, TX. USA. | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Call Doug at Cameraland and see what he gets for a Meopta 20-70X spotter. More expensive than Vortex Razor, but a great scope.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We are actually running a special on the Meostar S2 with 20-70 for only $1,999.99

We also have some demo S1 Meostars for under $1,000.00

Give us a call, 516-217-1000

Have a great day,
Doug
gr8fuldoug@aol.com
Camera Land
516-217-1000
www.cameralandny.com

Posts: 3699 | Location: Old Bethpage NY | Registered: 08 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Okie: I can't comment on the quality of the optic in question, but only on Cabela's pricing.

I've found Cabela's to consistently have the highest prices on any given item of any retail supplier. It isn't surprising to find a $400 price differential between Cabela's and an online supplier on an item like a spotting scope.

Buying from a bricks and mortar retailer has its advantages and we should be willing to pay for those advantages, but Cabela's price spread is usually way too large a premium to pay for such advantages. Most online retailers have as generous a return policy as does Cabela's, so only if it is worth $400 to you to look at their taxidermy displays and fish tank would you be as well off buying from Cabela's.

By the way, I remember when they were primarily a mail order business and their prices were among the most competitive in the field.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
Okie: I can't comment on the quality of the optic in question, but only on Cabela's pricing.

I've found Cabela's to consistently have the highest prices on any given item of any retail supplier. It isn't surprising to find a $400 price differential between Cabela's and an online supplier on an item like a spotting scope.

Buying from a bricks and mortar retailer has its advantages and we should be willing to pay for those advantages, but Cabela's price spread is usually way too large a premium to pay for such advantages. Most online retailers have as generous a return policy as does Cabela's, so only if it is worth $400 to you to look at their taxidermy displays and fish tank would you be as well off buying from Cabela's.

By the way, I remember when they were primarily a mail order business and their prices were among the most competitive in the field.

Stonecreek: you are right; I paid 2300 for mine IIRC. I had over 3K in points, so technically it didn't cost me cash, but it still cost me.

I am calling Doug first thing from now on.

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are getting a spotting scope to pack in the mountains on a sheep hunt for example, you will not want a Bausch & Lomb Rochester NY made 15-60 spotting scope. The bulk and weight would make it unsuitable for such. B&L did make other spotters of lesser power that were more portable. For using at the range where packing it is not an issue, You can't beat it. Go to EBAY and sooner or later ( most of the time some are listed) and save yourself a bunch of money.

Posts: 3811 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by carpetman1:
If you are getting a spotting scope to pack in the mountains on a sheep hunt for example, you will not want a Bausch & Lomb Rochester NY made 15-60 spotting scope. The bulk and weight would make it unsuitable for such. B&L did make other spotters of lesser power that were more portable. For using at the range where packing it is not an issue, You can't beat it. Go to EBAY and sooner or later ( most of the time some are listed) and save yourself a bunch of money.

I have one of these; Meopta beats it hands down. But I would say it isn't a sheep hunter's spotter either.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another AZ writer--Not to flame with you, what's the difference in price between the Meopta and the B&L? How is it beating it, can you see the holes more clearly?

Posts: 3811 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by carpetman1:
Another AZ writer--Not to flame with you, what's the difference in price between the Meopta and the B&L? How is it beating it, can you see the holes more clearly?

Fair question. Price is a huge difference. Meopta has better resolution; I can see stuff with it I can't with the B&L.

Let's put it this way: the Meopta is the one I bring shooting; the B&L hasn't been out since I got the Meopta.

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I have owned two Gen1 Vortex Razor Spotters and they were $1200 new several years ago.

They can be purchased for under $700 now if you hunt on Google or Amazon

The Vortex Razpr 65mm Gen1 has seen a lot of mountain time in my pack and a buddy of mine from here "graybird" has packed his for far more miles then me.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OkieNewton:
I have been wanting a really good spotting scope for a while. I have two that are ok but not great. At Cabela's just a few minutes from the house I found a Vortex Razor for 1199. The guy said we could go outside and check it out but not being quite ready I declined the offer. It was 16-48-65.
Beth found a Vortex Razor 16-48-65 on Amazon for 799. Is there that much of a markup on these things. From what I can tell it is the same scope. Could somebody elaborate just a bit on this? Don't want to argue over different brands as I am not an expert by any means. I have Leupold on my rifles and same brand for binoculars.

I am told by very reliable people that retailers make much more by selling Vortex than most other products. Big markup.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to those that responded, will try to look through a couple before the purchase. I just want to make sure I am getting the best one for the price. I doubt if it goes to the mountains of Alaska but will be used on vacation to look across the big lakes to look for critters.

Keep yer powder dry and yer knife sharp.

Posts: 607 | Location: Texas City, TX. USA. | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was in the market for a mid-priced spotter last year. I looked at a lot of spotters in the $1,000 - $1,500 range and bought the new Nikon. To my eyes it was better than the Vortex. I think the Meopta S2 is better than anything in it's price range and sometimes regret not spending a bit more than my budget.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We've got demo Meostar S1's for only $999.99. Great scope at a great price. Give us a call, 516-217-1000, to discuss it

Have a great day,
Doug
gr8fuldoug@aol.com
Camera Land
516-217-1000
www.cameralandny.com

Posts: 3699 | Location: Old Bethpage NY | Registered: 08 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
I worked for SWFA for 4 years throughout high school in the early to mid 90s. We mostly did gun shows back then, but we’re expanding the mail order business. I thought I knew a lot about optics back the , but times have definitely changed.

Vortex was not around then, and I don’t do the research I once did (hence my recent Zeiss Terra question). What confuses me about Vortex is the wide range in pricing. I suppose the same can be said of Zeiss, with the main difference being country of assembly. I have looked into buying a $200-300 pair of Vortex binos just to leave in the truck.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3458 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote