Find
Notify
Tools

New scope. Need opinions.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of garretttodd
posted
I just purchased a model 70 extreme weather in 300wm. Now I need to put something on it that will let me take the shot at 300yds+ with confidence. Here is the scope that I'm conisidering Kahles Helia CL 4-12x52. I borrowed a friends rifle this year it was a 300rum with a 4x12 50 habicht. It was fantastic I took a doe, 10pt buck, a coyote and a Mouflon ram. All with one shot from 80-325yds. Now all of you are probably saying why don't you just get one of those then. Well because
I can always borrow that one. I want something that is unique and my own. So here are the peramaters around $700 to $900 50mm objective and at least 12power. So opinionate away. Thanks for your advice.

Those who pound their swords into plowshares will be plowing for those of us who don't

Posts: 64 | Location: Fort worth, Texas | Registered: 10 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
garretttodd,

My thoughts: Zeiss 4.5-14x50mm (or a 44mm) with an 800 Rapid Z reticle. This should be within your price range or pretty darn close. The 44mm is definitely within your price range. I'm looking for a scope as well for my .257 Weatherby and the scope mentioned above is the efforts of my labor. Good luck and post what you finally do buy.

Jim NRA member

Posts: 74 | Location: Southwest Pennsylvania | Registered: 30 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BHW
posted Hide Post
Great choice SWPAhunter. I have the same scope x44) on one of my 270 WSMs and love it. I think the Zeiss Conquest is the best value on the market. Garrettodd might consider the 6.5-20x50 Conquest and visit Cameraland Optic Dept. I bought my 6.5-20 from Doug in that price range. Mention you are an AR member for an additional discount.

Posts: 261 | Location: Duncan, SC | Registered: 06 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
I played with a couple Extreme Weathers at Great Northern Guns the other day, and I was impressed. However, IMO, I would go with a VXIII 3.5-10 x 40. I have the 50mm version and it's too big. You asked and you received.

Lou

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 12s are gone, but for the money, you'll have a helluva time beating one of these Kahles 3-10x50s with the multi-zero feature.

http://www.cdnninvestments.com/kahlesscopes.html

I've got a several 3-12s on my .300 Win Mags and I very rarely find the 12 does anything for me that a 9 or 10 wouldn't do, especially at the ranges you're talking about. You should definitely get what you want tho, I'm just giving you my views based on my experiences shooting a lot of .300 Win Mag rounds.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jcchartboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SWPAhunter:
garretttodd,

My thoughts: Zeiss 4.5-14x50mm (or a 44mm) with an 800 Rapid Z reticle.

Exactly!

Not only are these excellent scopes for the money...but the Z-800 reticle will be virtually spot on for your loads. Even better, you can call Gr8fulDoug at Camerland and pick up a brand new 100% perfect demo model from the SHOT/SCI shows for $770 shipped.

That is a far better deal than whatever you will find on the Kahles in my opinion.

(I picked up both a 3-9x40 Z-600 and 4.5-14x50 Z-800 just this week from Doug myself!)

JC

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
That is a far better deal than whatever you will find on the Kahles in my opinion.

I think you should have clicked the link before opening mouth and inserting foot.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

One of Us
Picture of Jcchartboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
I think you should have clicked the link before opening mouth and inserting foot.

Your mistake is that when you were thinking, you presumed that there are scopes in that link that are comparable with the optical quality, functionality, and magnification range of the Zeiss 4.5-14x50mm Z-800 scope that the rest of us were discussing.

Unfortunately, that is not the case...leaving the location of your foot as the one in question. This is especially true given the fact that OP specifically stated he was looking for suggestions concerning scopes with "at least 12 power"...A criteria that not a single scope in that link meets!

JC

one of us
posted Hide Post
And the scope you mention costs $140 more than the Kahles and does not have the ability to shoot to point of aim at various distances, nor is it optically superior to the Kahles. Your mistake is assuming you know more than you do.......

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
Picture of Jcchartboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
And the scope you mention costs $140 more than the Kahles and does not have the ability to shoot to point of aim at various distances, nor is it optically superior to the Kahles. Your mistake is assuming you know more than you do.......

Of course it cost $140 more, the cost of upgrading to a ballistics reticle alone in a quality piece of glass like that accounts for the majority of that difference. Add in the fact that the scope is a higher magnification and has a larger objective lens...both minimum requirements the OP requested....and it is very obvious why those Kahles, which are not even in the same league as the Zeiss 4.5-14x50mm Z-800 scope we are discussing, are priced cheaper.

JC

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
those Kahles, which are not even in the same league as the Zeiss 4.5-14x50mm Z-800 scope we are discussing, are priced cheaper.

Wrong, oh fount of knowledge......here's some other opinions for you to consider......scope rankings

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
Picture of Jcchartboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jcchartboy:
Of course it cost $140 more, the cost of upgrading to a ballistics reticle alone in a quality piece of glass like that accounts for the majority of that difference. Add in the fact that the scope is a higher magnification and has a larger objective lens...both minimum requirements the OP requested....and it is very obvious why those Kahles, which are not even in the same league as the Zeiss 4.5-14x50mm Z-800 scope we are discussing, are priced cheaper.

JC

Which part of this discussion did you not understand? Was it the part about the difference in reticles, or the difference in magnification, or the difference in objective lenses...or all three?

Obvioulsy, it is, at a minimum, the first two parts about the magnification and the objective lenses. This is being made increasing apparent by your inability to even acknowldge the aforementioned fact that none of the scopes provided in your recomended link even meet the magnification, or objective lens requirements, set forth at the onset of this discussion...

JC

one of us
posted Hide Post
It appears your reading comprehension is about as good as your self awarded knowledge of optics......

I repeat my original reply, perhaps you can understand it if you read it again.....

quote:
The 12s are gone, but for the money, you'll have a helluva time beating one of these Kahles 3-10x50s with the multi-zero feature.

http://www.cdnninvestments.com/kahlesscopes.html

I've got a several 3-12s on my .300 Win Mags and I very rarely find the 12 does anything for me that a 9 or 10 wouldn't do, especially at the ranges you're talking about. You should definitely get what you want tho, I'm just giving you my views based on my experiences shooting a lot of .300 Win Mag rounds.

I repeat, for the money and the optics involved, you can't beat those deals on Kahles. If the OP wants something different, that is fine, but he won't be gaining RESULTS in his price range. I own mutliple Zeiss, Swaros, S&Bs, Conquests, Leupies and many others. Conquests are very good scopes but not nearly as good as you seem to think. The multi-zero function puts you dead on at the ranges you choose with any load, something that is not possible with the rapid Z, which is also a good reticle.

xxxxxxxxxx