Find
Notify
Tools

Scope for a .22 Rimfie
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted
I am looking for recommendations for a decent scope under about $100.00 to mount on a Ruger 10/22. The gun is used for plinking and small game shooting.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3818 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you need to stay below $100, I'd probably go with a Simmons.

Posts: 322 | Location: Three Forks, Montana | Registered: 02 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Esldude
posted Hide Post
http://theopticzone.com/detail.aspx?ID=2317

This is far better than the typical offerings just under $100. Only 4x, but a good clear 4x
from Nikon.

Posts: 852 | Location: USA | Registered: 01 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
I don't need to stay under $100.00, but would prefer to. If I had to go a few bucks more for a significant increase in quality I would. However, I don't want to spend the $$$ for a Leupold.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3818 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by loud-n-boomer:
I don't need to stay under $100.00, but would prefer to. If I had to go a few bucks more for a significant increase in quality I would. However, I don't want to spend the $$$ for a Leupold.

If your willing to spend a little over $100, I fully recommend the Weaver rimfire classic scopes. 4x power fixed is ~$115 and 2-7x is only ~15 dollars more. Great clarity and consistent tracking. Only complaint is that they have a matte finish. A sure step up from tasco, simmons, etc. Just as good as the much more expensive leupold rimfire scopes (but I won't get up on that soapbox)

Wes

Posts: 213 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 15 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
normally I don't like bushnell banners, but they have a little 3-9 with a drop compensator that is something less than 100 & really doesn't look to bad at all

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
I used a Bushnell 4x. cost was about $40 i think. Its very clear, doenst fog up, and seems perfect for a 22lr

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Posts: 2585 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
WESR's right....Weavers cranking out some good quality scopes for the $$$'s. There's a lot of others that would work as well....

-Ron

Posts: 192 | Location: Anchorage, Ak | Registered: 16 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I put a Simmons 44mag 3-9 scope on one of my 10-22's and love it.

anything better is pointless on a casual use 22lr rifle.

I got a deal on the simmons though it's normally a $90 scope and Cabela's was (probably still is) running a sale on them for $39.95.

After having one I'd say it was worth $90.
I'm still kicking myself for not getting a second one for my BL22.

AllanD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
I went into my local sporting good store last night, and they had the Bushnell 4x and the Nikon 4X. Unfortunately, they did not have the Weaver. After comparing the Bushnell and Nikon side by side, I ended up with the Bushnell. It brighter, clearer, included rings, and at $39.95 was less than half the price.

Thanks for the feedback on this.

one of us
Picture of Kory
posted Hide Post
I have the Nikon ($100) 4X and the Leupold ($229) 3-9x. I can tell you that the Leupold is noticeably better than the Nikon, but both at heads and shoulder above Simmons, etc.

Kory

Posts: 860 | Location: Montana | Registered: 16 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Joe Young
posted Hide Post
Reckon I'm the only old phart around that loves the ol Kollmorgen scopes. Clear as a bell and made out of steel (the Brooklyn ones). I have a 4X with a single post, easy sight aquisition and holds zero. Have a couple more with fine crosshairs.

Posts: 107 | Location: Lake City, FL | Registered: 15 November 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The only rifle I own w/o a Leupold is my 10/22. It has the 4x Nikon. It is plenty good for casual targeting and shooting squirrels. Got it at Walmart for $99 plus tax. It is impressively clear for the money.

Posts: 17 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 04 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have just purchased an Anschutz 1416 .22LR and am tossing up on what scope to purchase.

A quality rifle needs a quality scope and I don't want to cheapskate.

I see that Leupold, yes that name keeps coming up, make a "dedicated" rimfire series. Have read any reports of that range.

Then, if they are not up to the mark ( as the scope is intended to remain on the rifle for the rest of my life and I am 43), what is the cost/benefit difference between the Leupold VX-I and VX-II series.

Have been impressed with what I have read about the new Bushnell 4200 series. The prices are not all that much less than Leupold,for about the same specs.

However, quality, not price is not the issue.

But that does not mean I am in the market, for Zeiss, Kahles or Swarski; they make superb optics , as do Leica for camera lens, but there is a definite trade off in value for money.

Am looking for , even in .22LR, say 3or 4x9 x40 ; however an objective of 33 would be OK>

Posts: 65 | Location: Australia- Melbourne | Registered: 04 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you want to keep your .22 light and trim as is fitting with a rimfire, the Leupold Rimfire series is the best that's available. The 2-7X Compact is the cat's whiskers in this regard. If you feel you need more magnification, then look at the 3-9 Compact EFR (recently replaced with the Lightweight series, I believe). It is a bit bulkier, but the 9x magnification and the Extended Focus Range down to just a few feet make it a high-precision rimfire scope.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
If money had not been an issue, I would have gone with the Leupold. Their rimfire scopes are the same mechanically as their centerfire scopes. The difference is that the parallax on the rimfire scopes is set for 50 yards, whereas their centerfire scope are set to be parallax free at 100 yards. The actual optics are identical quality between the two. However, for the money, I am impressed with the Bushnell that I bought.

one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MontMike:
If you need to stay below $100, I'd probably go with a Simmons.

I'd agree with that, always suggest Simmons when someone wants a cheaper scope. Jay

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kory
posted Hide Post
This is going to show my ignorance.

I don't mean the hijack this thread, but can someone explain to me what parallax is? It must be different than focus because a centerfire scope can be focussed down to 50 yards, but I've been told you need a rimfire scope because the parallax is set to 50 yards.

Thanks,
Kory

Posts: 860 | Location: Montana | Registered: 16 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Joe Young
posted Hide Post
Kory, never be ashamed to ask, you will learn more that way. I will not try to explain it, because us hillbillys really mess up the Queen's english. I have been into firearms for over 50 years and learn something new every day. Here is a link to a good description and how to correct it,just click on it, good shootin'.
http://www.larrywillis.com/tip015.html

Posts: 107 | Location: Lake City, FL | Registered: 15 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Joe:

Feel free to hijack away. I got my question answered and found a scope.

Dave