THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM OPTICS FORUM

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Minox ZV-3 riflescopes..."Made in Asia"?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Triple4
posted
I was thinking about buying a Minox ZV-3 because the scope has lifetime warranty and is reasonably priced. However, I found a Minox riflescope brochure that shows the Minox ZV-3 is Made in Asia... and not USA like I hoped?
Anyone have any experience with the Minox ZV-3?

Posts: 1307 | Location: SW Pennsylvania | Registered: 17 May 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cooperjd
posted Hide Post
i have had the zv-3 like you mentioned for a couple years on my .375HH. i have not shot the rifle extensively, however, i believe the scope is very good and clear for the price; and it has not moved zero at all on the 375.
on second thought, it might be a za3?

i also have a z5 or za5 or zv5 (i forget) 3-15x on my 338 RUM. this one is more expensive, but is nice and clear and handles the recoil of that cannon just fine. again, i do not get a chance to shoot my rifles all that much living in northern va, but so far i really like the scopes.

Posts: 779 | Location: Mt Pleasant, SC | Registered: 19 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have two, a 3-9x and 4.5-14x. The 4.5-14x has Germany on the objective the other one doesn't, but my understanding is that use German glass, assembled in Asia. They compare well to my Conquests in the same power, and I bought the pair for $329. The adjustments are a bit mushy, one worse than the other, but very nice glass. I have mounted one on a .243, the other one is still in the safe, so can't speak about recoil resistance.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Triple4
posted Hide Post
I gave some serious thought to the ZV-3 but then Camera Land NY had a great price on a ZA5 HD (advertised in the AR classifieds) and I bit. I haven't mounted it yet but I'm impressed with it so far. My only nitpick would be, like you mentioned about your ZV-3 scopes, the adjustments are a bit mushy... it has an audible click but it's just not as crisp as I remember on other scopes. After hearing your review, it sounds like the Minox ZV series would be worth a try. The lifetime warranty on ZV definitely helps me look past the "Assembled in Asia"

Posts: 1307 | Location: SW Pennsylvania | Registered: 17 May 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Actually the Riflescopes are assembled in Japan.The Bino`s are assembled in China.Both of which are in Asia but light years apart in workmanship.

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Triple4
posted Hide Post
I definitely like the idea of assembled in Japan better than assembled in China. Thanks for the info!

One of Us
Picture of steyrsteve
posted Hide Post
I've purchased several Minox ZV-3s from Doug at Caneraland, NY. They represent tremendous value and seem as clear as Zeiss Conquest.
Yes, the dials seem a little spongy but so do the dials on my Conquest.
John Barsness did a review of the ZV-3 for the NRA. He liked them and was especially impressed that they stood up to the recoil of his "Mr. Monster" lightweight .338 Win Mag with no deterioration of function or accuracy.
I would find it hard to pass up such a fine scope for such a reasonable price.

NRA Life Member
DRSS-Claflin Chapter
Mannlicher Collectors Assn
KCCA
IAA

Posts: 473 | Location: central Kansas | Registered: 26 December 2013Reply With Quote