New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tactical scope mounts or not
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have been shooting a Remington 700 tactical-type rifle in 308 Win for a few years. For most of that time I was using Redfield rings and bases; and recently switched to Leupold rings and bases (turn-in front, windage rear), that hold on to the Leupold 4.5x14x40 Vari-X III scope that I have been using. I generally shoot it at ranges of 100-300 yards, off a bench rest or bipod.

I have friends who use 'tactical' scope mounts like the Leu MkIV or Badger type - do these cross slot mounts provide a better mount for just shooting on the range? (no real stress like airborne drops, rough military field use, etc.)

sputster

Posts: 760 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Unless you are going to replace the scope with with the optical equivalent of a tank, I wouldn't worry about changing the mounts: the erector tubes in modern variables will probably let you down before Redfield or Leupold mounts do.

Swarovski have admitted there is a problem with this articulated tube within the tube and put special springs in their dearer models to combat it.

Can't afford Swaro? You could look back at this bit of nonsense:

http://forums.accuratereloadin...1421043/m/3081080191

Posts: 5110 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the Leupold dual dovetail mounts on a non tactical set up. Plenty tough and not much to go wrong. Modestly priced too!

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I see, thanks.

sputster

Posts: 760 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it has the word 'tactical' in it, then usually the cost is greater. Not really better.

Posts: 1991 | Location: Sinton, TX | Registered: 16 June 2013Reply With Quote