Find
Notify
Tools

The frankness of Borat
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted
For those of you who cannot understand my sorrow at the demise of the reticle-movement scope, I offer the innocent explanation of the Romanian Valdada website's FAQ to say what even German makers would now rather you forgot:

Why is my reticule off to one side?
Our M-series of tactical scopes and our 3 x 25 QRTS scopes feature non-centered reticules. As you move the reticule, it physically moves inside the scope as there is no erector tube moving. It is normal to have it sit out of center and this system has proven to be incredibly durable in combat situations.

It should not be normal to have the reticle off-centre, of course, if the scope has been mounted by a competent gunsmith and you are not tweaking it for extreme distance. Valdada are obviously well into erector tubes themselves, too, as they boast variables with six and seven power multiples.

http://www.valdada.com/frequently-asked-questions#12

Posts: 5095 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm old enough to remember when the "constantly centered" reticle was almost a space-age wonder. I've looked through a number of old Weavers on which the reticle was up in one "corner" of the field of view when it was properly zeroed.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
As one of the guys on the cheapest-scope thread (sorry, I'm reluctant to look back in case it costs money Smiler) suggested, that scope might have been properly zeroed but it was not properly mounted.

With windage-adjustment mounts it is not rocket science to get them right laterally and, with a bit of luck and the odd shim, it should not be impossible to get a scope close to the mark on elevation. With drilling and tapping and dovetails, of course, it helps if the factory or gunsmith have done their job properly.

The problem with having an image-movement scope badly mounted is that it can cause misses because of head position, analogous with parallax.

Posts: 5095 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
All of the older rifles with scopes have Redfield style one piece scope mounts. I quickly learned to have various thicknesses of shim stock on hand for the front of the mount. The dual opposing screws on the rear of the mount took care of the hort. difference and the shim stock took care of the vert.
The more recent rifles got iron sights.

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote