New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which $500 Binoculars
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My son is looking to buy a pair of bino's for all around hunting,10X42 or at last in that range, for $500, give a take $100.
I have 3 pair, 1 Ziess and 2 Swarovski's of which he can use anytime, but he wants to buy his own.
What would be your recommendation?

Posts: 441 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 11 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Minox HGs.

According to Doug at Cameraland Minox are running out the current range and are going to move production to Germany with a significant increase in price. The Minox HG range are available currently at significant discounts and they are excellent glass. I think that cameraland have the 10X43 for $580ish and there might be other places doing a better price.

They aren't the best binos in the world but I bet you find they come as close as doesn't matter to your top end stuff for $1000 less.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hear good things about the Minox HG, the Meopta binoculars, and the Chinese ED (Zen Ray, Promaster, Hawke, Atlas). I haven't actually seen any of these, but a check on the internet will show good reviews on all of them.

Posts: 326 | Location: Mabank, TX | Registered: 23 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
Fot the $$
I have liked these a great deal.

http://www.valdada.com/product...3f-9bb9be118b92.aspx

http://www.valdada.com/product...4a-99590c857657.aspx

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
From time to time, I have seen some Kahles on sale in this price range.
Allot of people RAVE about Nikon SE's. They are poros and are not water proof but my understanding they provide a fantastic image and are in that price range.
Another great glass is a Bushnell Elite. This may be closer to $800.00 but they are very light weight and excellent eye relief.

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ingvar J. Kristjansson
posted Hide Post
Minox HG is a fantastic binocular.

Posts: 510 | Location: Iceland | Registered: 15 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pentax DCF or Nikon

Pancho
LTC, USA, RET

"Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids." Clint Eastwood

Give me Liberty or give me Corona.

Posts: 933 | Location: Roswell, NM | Registered: 02 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Doesn't seem like a very good use of his money considering the binos you already have. You should be proud that he is so independent.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The minox are the best value on the market right now but I'd save more money and go for the BD 8.5X42 BR ASHERICAL because you will not see that big of differnce in the HG and the BD.... AND THE BDS were $587 but at camera land $250

Posts: 581 | Location: Cheney, KS or Africa Somewhere | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mikelarvy,
I am very proud of him and his 3 sisters. They've all grown to be independent thinking yet very close and giving to the whole family.

I'd like to thank everyone for their input. As always A/R members are the best.

Posts: 441 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 11 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Have him look for a pair of used Leica, Zeiss or Swarovski.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scubapro
posted Hide Post
If SYou have alread Zeiss and especially Swarovski which he could use it would be a great waste of money to buy anything cheaper then that... Tell him and he should save money for another Swarovski, take yours as long as possible or take the money for amo to train a lot... everything is better then buying a "cheap" optics - just wasted money !!!

Klaus

life is too short for not having the best equipment You could buy...
www.titanium-gunworks.de

Posts: 759 | Location: Germany | Registered: 30 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was on the Camera land website earlier this weekend and I noticed a pair of Zeiss 10 / 32 Victory T* Fl (non leutec) for I believe $750.00 in their used / demo department. Might be worth investigating. These are great binoc's ( Flourite objectives) & light weight .

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In the price range that you are looking at there are many excellent opportunities. The Minox HG series is one, The Promaster ELX series is another (BTW, if you call in an order on a Promaster ELX series and mention this forum you get an additional $150.00 off the price on the 8x42 or the 10x42) other quality options are available in demos and samples. If you get a moment please feel free to give us a call and we can discuss what would be best for him.

Have a great day,
Doug
gr8fuldoug@aol.com
Camera Land
516-217-1000
www.cameralandny.com

Posts: 3659 | Location: Old Bethpage NY | Registered: 08 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Go to EBAY. Find a pair of Bausch & Lomb Rochester NY made Zephyrs. I say get the 7x35.-10x are much harder to use. You will not find better binos I dont care what you spend. The 7x50 which are bulky but there are many still around and working great that survived WW2.

Posts: 1289 | Location: San Angelo,Tx | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scubapro:
If SYou have alread Zeiss and especially Swarovski which he could use it would be a great waste of money to buy anything cheaper then that... Tell him and he should save money for another Swarovski, take yours as long as possible or take the money for amo to train a lot... everything is better then buying a "cheap" optics - just wasted money !!!

Klaus

Good advice.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kahles
ZenRay
Minox HG
discountinued Nikon LX

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Having recently looked through some, my vote for best binocular under $1,500 now goes to the Nikon Monarch ATB 8X42. It think it costs around $250.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sell him one of your pair of Bino's for $500.00.

Then "everybody" will be happy.

After using quality binos, everything else is like looking throug a coke bottle full of muddy water. Eeker Big Grin

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
Sell him one of your pair of Bino's for $500.00.

Then "everybody" will be happy.

I'll keep my Leicas, but I could come up with a good price on the Minox I've still got.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote