Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best hunting scope for 300 wsm?
 Login/Join

posted
I have a Browning A-bolt 300 wsm that is my long range hunting rifle.
What is the best scope under $750?
Best scope under $1000?
(I would like a 4.5-14 or better)

Posts: 328 | Location: Southwest Idaho | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Look at cameralandny.com for their Zeiss Conquest demo deals.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MRAMSAY10:

In the case of a hunting rifle, "or better" would be something with top magnification in the 9X or 10X range. If you can't see it well enough to shoot it when magnified 10 times, well, it's way too damn far away to shoot at.

Besides, your A-bolt is a short action, light weight gun. You don't want to mount a scope on it that is nearly as big as it is and which adds two pounds to its otherwise trim weight.

Posts: 13235 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
quote:
Originally posted by MRAMSAY10:

In the case of a hunting rifle, "or better" would be something with top magnification in the 9X or 10X range. If you can't see it well enough to shoot it when magnified 10 times, well, it's way too damn far away to shoot at.

Besides, your A-bolt is a short action, light weight gun. You don't want to mount a scope on it that is nearly as big as it is and which adds two pounds to its otherwise trim weight.

I agree 100%! My Kimber Montana .300WSM wears a Leupold VXIII 2.5-8x36mm w/M1 elevation turret.

Posts: 1927 | Location: Oregon Coast | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
MRAMSAY 10
You don't say what long range is for you. I have a 300 WSM and have a Nightforce 3.5x15x56. I am still working on loads for it, but I plan to use it out to 600 yards. I would not have any less magnification for the distance I stated (for my eyes). Also, the extra weight of the NF is not an issue for me. I would not use a scope with 10 power or less for anything beyond 300 yards. Leupold or Zeiss should have something that would fit your needs. Good luck

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have Leupold 2.5-8x VX-3 on my 300WSM and Swarovski's on a couple of 300H&Hs, one is a 3-9x and the other is a 2.5-10x Z6.

I would recommend something in the 2.5-8x or 3.5-10x for your 300WSM and if it is a hunting rifle, I wouldn't get anything with >40-42mm objective.

For the money Leupold VX3's are hard to beat.

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Long range to me is 500-600 yds in the field. I am seriously considering one of the new Bushnell 6500s with 2.5-16x42mm tactical scopes. Broad range of magnification, plus I have seen a lot of good reviews.

Posts: 328 | Location: Southwest Idaho | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's your rifle, but to me, and which has already been said, it defeats the purpose of having a short action, compact, lightweight hunting rig.

Posts: 1927 | Location: Oregon Coast | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am a fan of Nikon optics value for the buck with optical clarity and definition. That being said, I will now give another option(or two) for consideration........the Burris 4.5-14 Fullfield with the Balistic Plex reticle. Having fitted a couple of 300 WSM's with them for customers and sshot them in for them, I was IMPRESSED at the accuracy of the chart included with them for the various calibers. I've tested them on .204 Ruger, .223Rem, .243Win, .270Win, 7mmRemMag, 300WSM and .45caliber Encore muzzleloader..............those engineers did their homework!! The optics are good, there's better glass out there but the price makes them a consideration. I've also done the same testing using the Leupold VX-L 4.5-14 with the B&C reticle and it worked spendidly on a Browning Titanium in 300WSM. All of the 300's tested have killed elk for the last two years and performed spendidly. If I was going hunting tomorrow(and I am) my rifle would be topped with either a Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14 or a Nikon Monarch in 3-12. The BP or B&C reticles work.........never really dinked with the Nikon "BDC" reticles. Maybe I should try them out just for the experience. My experience has been for the most part, "Dialing and Dusting" of vermin in far off places and the Nikons have always worked spendidly for that application. My experiences shooting deer at "far off distances" have been limited to knowing the rifle, the load and the trajectory and so far they've been pretty good experiences(for me but not for the deer!). Just my 2 cents worth. CHarlie (GHD) PS: I just put a VX7-L on a rifle this week(Weatherby Accumark in 257 Weatherby) and if I had to carry it, it wouldn't get hunted with! 34 oz of scope on a rifle made to hunt with, defeats the purpose of the well made, probably more accurate than the dickens, carry rifle!

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Leupold 6x36 on my 300WSM Kimber Montana.

Posts: 104 | Location: TN | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote