THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM OPTICS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Optics    Rangefinder recommendations for Prarie Dog hunting..

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rangefinder recommendations for Prarie Dog hunting..
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted
What seem a to work best for you guys on these much smaller targets?

"That's not a knife..THIS is a KNIFE" !

Posts: 6572 | Location: NEW ORLEANS / CAJUN COUNTRY!!! | Registered: 05 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Safari....

A unit with a small beam divergence is needed.....IMHO.

Here's a pic of my old set-up. I've since upgraded to a Leica Vector.

Hope this helps.

Kevin

Posts: 409 | Location: The Republic Of Texas, USA | Registered: 28 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted Hide Post
Nice! But Big Bucks!

Posts: 6572 | Location: NEW ORLEANS / CAJUN COUNTRY!!! | Registered: 05 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have a look at my thread below. They will both do the job Im pretty sure.

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted Hide Post
Got it..thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That 2700 Leica runs ballistics too. But it is also more expensive. For the long shots at dogs maybe its worth it. For my general hunting ranges I didn't think I needed that.

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
But......when you can range an individual PD(not a "mound" or "bush") at a bit over 600 yards.....well....

Beam divergence of my Geovid 7x42 is 0.3 X 1.5 milliradians.

Kevin

Posts: 409 | Location: The Republic Of Texas, USA | Registered: 28 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin Gullette:
But......when you can range an individual PD(not a "mound" or "bush") at a bit over 600 yards.....well....

Beam divergence of my Geovid 7x42 is 0.3 X 1.5 milliradians.

Kevin

Exactly Kevin; beam divergence is priceless in RFs.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7573 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Priceless for me in rangefinders probably ends at about $1000. Of course others have different requirements.

My bud has the Gunwerks G7 unit and he is well satisfied with it across the board.

I don't have any prairie dog experience but it sure looks fun. It has to be a good way to get your practice in too.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've been PD shooting on the Texas high plains twice a year, for most of the last 20+ years.

I would estimate that over 80% of the first-time PD shooters are instantly "hooked".

Soooo........"priceless" can be a highly variable number. And.....when you add up all the other "necessities"......well......

Interesting.....

Kevin

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a Bushnell 1600 if to buy again I would buy a better quality one.

The range finder works find by they are not very tough.

Posts: 19432 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote