Find
Notify
Tools

Spotting scope preference
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted
What's you favorite spotting scope and why?

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most of my spotting scope use is at a 200 yd range. I try to see the shots at that range.

The previous two were 60 mm scopes with different eye pieces to change the magnification.

I wanted to see better at 200 yds. and got a Konuspot-80.

It's an 80 mm scope with 20-60X variable power.

It's far superior to the old scopes in resolution. Of course it's bigger and heavier but at the range it's well worth it.

The Konus is an import and not expensive.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is a pic of the old scope.

Get the 'power' or optic that your eye likes instead of what someone else says.

When we go to the doctor they ask us what lens we like!

Do that with your optics.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Swaro STM 80 MM HD w/25-50 eyepiece. I've had zeiss, leupold, minox, leica APO 62mm and a swaro 65, for being just slightly larger then the 65mm, the 80MM swaro does all I need.

Posts: 549 | Location: n.e.Mn | Registered: 14 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Swaro STM 80 MM HD w/25-50 eyepiece

I see a 80mm Swaro costs $6000.00!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is my 80 mm Konus for $229.

konus 80 mm spotter

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
For now it a Leupold Gold Ring 12-40x60 with a PhoneSkope

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have an ancient Bausch&Lomb 20-60 Rochester that either it or my eyes are no longer able to resolve clearly at powers above 50. I'm eligible for a Hunter Education instructor discount through Leupold and an considering using it to get a GoldLine 20-26x 80mm- but if it's my eyes, it may not be an improvement.

Posts: 1421 | Location: WA St, USA | Registered: 28 August 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
I have been an optics snob most of my life...once I started using good glass it was hard to go back....I will say glass price point has narrowed in the last 5 years, some very good glass can be had for decent prices.

I have used the Konus scope the above poster used, and it is passable for 50% of what most people use spotting scopes for! and for under $250 bones...very good.

Another option was SWFA was closing out the Vortex Razor 20x60 80mm at the TexS Trophy hunter show, I think it was for $1099...I own this scope and it is top notch, I use it for spotting at the range, Aoudad hunting, and any trips I need to look long range...it is excellent.

https://www.amazon.com/Vortex-...eywords=Vortex+Razor

I also have a Nikon Fieldscope 65mmand a Kowa 82mm these are both top notch, but are equal to the razor for more money...

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
At many rifle matches on the firing line you will see a majority of experienced shooters using Kowa spotting scopes. Just a thought.

Posts: 1050 | Location: S.Charleston, WV | Registered: 18 June 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use a Kowa 25x LER. Very good. Started using it when I was shooting F-Class.
I also own a Nikon 65mm Fieldscope with a 25x-75x eyepiece.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
Since years, I've been using a Swarovski AT80HD + Manfrotto tripod (Bogen in UDA).

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
I use and like the Kowa 883 Prominar lens 88mm objective and 20X60 variable eyes piece. The Kowa is excellent and I have owned Swarovski 80mm and have looked through Zeis and I choose the Kowa.

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Leupold Gold Ring 12-40x60
Dennis

one of us
posted Hide Post
After using cheaper spotting scopes for years I got an Pentax PF-80ED for use at the range, out normally spotting to 300 yards. It is very bright and clear, but is also large and heavy. I may take a second look at a Kowa when I need something more portable.

sputster

Posts: 760 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A few years ago I went to Cabela's intent on buying either a Leica or Swaro. The woman behind the counter insisted I look at Meopta; she even brought out all three on tripods into the parking lot. A sniper just back from AFG came with us to render his opinion.

I picked the Meopta; it was about 1K less than the others and I felt it was superior.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Kowa Promonar, Vortex Razor and Leupold Gold Ring 12X40X60 HD.
All around; I will take the Leupold (lighter, more compact, and great eye relief). All these add up to a better packing and ergonomic design.
The eye relief is a big deal when you have that scope on some uneven terrain and your body is in some contorted position trying to get a full view through the objective. The others become a nuisance and create neck and back strain.
The Leupold has a flourite objective as well. Maybe not quite on par optically as the Kowa or Razor but its advantages far outweigh the slight difference in optic performance (for hunting off the beaten path).
If you are looking for the best for sighting 22 holes on paper at distance and are planted on a flat surface you might?? want to spend the extra $$ on a Kowa or such (depends on the range).
You can spot 2 holes on paper at 300 yards with the Leupold on a cool day. I have not really tried beyond that.

EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cessna
posted Hide Post
I like the Minox 15-30 spotting scope.
Optics are good, and it's light weight and carries well in the country I hunt.

Posts: 430 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 July 2006Reply With Quote