Find
Notify
Tools

10x25, Zeiss v Leica
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of JeffreyPhD
posted
Just wondering what peoples thoughts are on this. Zeiss victory model versus Leica ultravid, each sells for $900 at various places. Preferences?

Posts: 1014 | Location: Central California Coast | Registered: 05 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Well, they're definitely not night glasses.

I used to carry Nikon 8x25 binos for bush hunting and they were light and handy. However, the small objective lenses not only limit their use in poor light but also the eye relief. This means those wearing specs may find it harder to get the full field of view.

Posts: 4955 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am not convinced by modern Zeiss. Leica to my eyes are much better.

Little 8 or 10x25 binoculars are wonderful for carrying or looking at something, but for me they are too small ergonomically for extended binocular use. Not the sort of thing to sit down and spend an hour glassing a hillside looking for a shootable beast. For me the tubes are little small so I have to hold them in front of my eyes. With my Zeiss 7x42 BGAT* the eye piece is steadied by my eye sockets.

Ideal though for when out on a walk and you see something that you want to look at more closely. Or you are at the races, rugby etc

I have a Swarovski equivalent. If you can get an 8x - much easier to hold steady.

If you want a small light pair of binoculars for extended use have a look at the 8x30 or 32 type size. A little bulkier than the true pocket, but so much better to use, and you really loose little in terms of low light performance to the 8x42 type size.

Posts: 981 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JeffreyPhD
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the feedback, I’m not up to date on Zeiss quality versus Leica quality. I agree about the general purpose of these, I’m not thinking of them for extended glassing of the hillside or that sort of thing. It’s more to have a pair of binoculars with me when I normally would not bother to take anything larger. Not for hunting really.

Posts: 1014 | Location: Central California Coast | Registered: 05 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JeffreyPhD:
Thanks for the feedback, I’m not up to date on Zeiss quality versus Leica quality. I agree about the general purpose of these, I’m not thinking of them for extended glassing of the hillside or that sort of thing. It’s more to have a pair of binoculars with me when I normally would not bother to take anything larger. Not for hunting really.

In that case either will work well. Zeiss just feel a bit lightweight, Leica’s feel more robust. The 8x20 may suit better - easier to keep steady. But, yes, these sort of binoculars are ideal for when you don’t want to carry a pair.

Thinking about, good friend has a pair of small Leica’s. His wife gave them to him when he was in the Para’s deployed to the Balkans in the 1990’s. He uses them for deer stalking, fishing and just live in his outdoor jacket pocket. And have done so for the last 25 years.

Posts: 981 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Opinions vary so the only true way to decide is find a store that carries both and compare them. Which ever one you prefer is the one to keep.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2796 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have both and the Leupold 9x. All are very handy but neither the Zeiss or the Leica are waterproof. The Leupold is. I don't think there is any measurable optical advantage to either of the three. None of them are anywhere near the equivalent of a good 8x32 or 10x42.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12864 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
I've taken to carrying my nice light and small Bushnell Prime 1700 range finder when out walking the dog or travelling about in the car. The fully coated 6x24 Bushnell perfectly fills the bill with very clear optics and focusing. Can just view as a monocular or hit the scan button and range objects when wondering how far away something is.
My Steiner Skyhawk 10x42 binoculars are too heavy to carry around for casual use so the rangefinder fills a niche for me.

Posts: 3849 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote