New
Find
Notify
Tools

Leupold power ring problems
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone have a trick for getting the power ring to loosten up a bit?
i dont want to tote a pair of channel locks out on the stand.

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I'm having the same trouble with a Nikon and they are saying "no fix" for it. However I had similar trouble with a Leupold VX-1 and I sent it to them and they loosened it right up for me. I asked both companies about externally applying lube and they both said "no" however upon probing deeper with Leupold I was told this may help but some lubricants could potentially hurt the gas seal so they always say "no" to exterior lubrication.
So there you have it send it in or self lube it and if something goes wrong then send it in.
I would send it in.

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just boxed up a Leupold VX1 that I'm sending in for service because the adjustment ring is froze tight! I actually tried to bust it loose with a pair of channel locks with a piece of leather over the ring to protect the finish and it won't budge!

Posts: 1927 | Location: Oregon Coast | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
One of the flaws with Leupold. Almost all of them I've owned were a real paint to turn. It really gripes me when I'm trying to zoom in on an animal quickly.

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My $0.02 worth......note: you're getting your money's worth..... Big Grin

A power ring on a varibale scope that is stuck or only turns with great difficulty is normally indicative of a couple of issues. Usually when a scope is purchased and prior to mounting it should be given a sorta "Function Test" to see if all's Hoyle. Nothing magic here - just see if everything is as it should be prior to mounting it, varable power ring, focus, straight recticle, etc. Almost all the time the variable power ring works just fine although I've one scope where it is pretty tight, but it's not binding and is servicable. I do this in the Store or when the package arrives so I don't get surprised when the mounts/rings/bases/scope and screwdriver set is ready to go.

There are so many varibale here, long scopes, short scopes, different eye-relief, mounting systems, spacing issue on receivers, folks with various anatomical issues, short necks, long necks, glasses, short & long stocks etc. they're countless. Net, not everything works or is aligned perfectly for everyone all the time. Pretty much everyone works or does as best they can with what they've got to work with. Obviously the vast majority of folks who frequent this web site have ususally mounted a few scopes in their day and have a good idea of what to look for and others perhaps less expereince.

Anyway, I digress; the primary cause for a variable power ring on a Scope that refuses to budge or can only be moved with copious applications of effort when mounted is:

One, a scope that has been mounted with enough pressure to bend the scope in the rings/mounts/bases. This could be caused by a number of things but basically the Rings/Mounts/Bases and Scope are misaligned - usually the mounting holes in the receiver or the holes in the mount bases are outa sync or on a Leupold/Redfield type adjustable mounting system the rear & front rings are misaligned.

Or two, the rear scope mounting ring is placed too far back on the Scope; either excactly at or too close to the junction of the variable power ring and the ocular bell and then in combination with the wrong spot on the scope the rear ring is too tight.

If these issues occur after the scope has been mounted and the variable power ring refuses or is difficult to move; take the scope out of the rings. If the varibale power ring now turns you're O.K. and know the issue is with the Rings/Mounts/Base; they are somehow out of sync and require some sort of tuning or alignment.

If the varibale power ring still refues to turn after the scope has been removed from it's mounting system in the above mentioned cases then it requires servicing to get the varibale power ring free to move again. If force is applied to turn the varibale power ring after this condition has occured USUALLY bad things happen to the scope.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote