New
Find
Notify
Tools

Leupold European Models?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Found a pretty good deal on some of these 30mm scopes. The cost is hundreds less than "real" European scopes.

I'm looking to put a low-powered one on a VERY heavy recoiling dangerous game rifle.

Anybody know anything about them?

Posts: 1443 | Registered: 09 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought a 2-7x Euro model a couple of years ago, but it has only been used on a 7x57. It is a good scope, but not a Zeiss or Swaro, but is a good buy, can't comment on a heavy recoiling rifle, but normally a Leupold is better than most on a hard kicker.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think a Leupold European with a thirty mm tube & rings would be an outstanding choice for a thumper.

If nothing less the 30mm rings tend to sit the scope somewhat lower - O.K, we're taking mm's but in a thumper every little bit helps.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GAHUNTER:
Found a pretty good deal on some of these 30mm scopes. The cost is hundreds less than "real" European scopes.

I'm looking to put a low-powered one on a VERY heavy recoiling dangerous game rifle.

Anybody know anything about them?

I have a 1x4x30 mm on a 376 steyr that I took to Africa last year. It has a little too much field of view on the low side as I see the barrel and I would like a little highter power on the high side. I wish it was a 2x7. Also you better not try to use an objective scope cover like a Butler Creek flip up as you will surely jam your rifle. The fast focus of the scope turns freely and the lever for the scope cover will jam the bolt. I did it at the bench and thought I had something wrong with my rifle. I now travel with the cover on them take it off for hunting.

Posts: 595 | Location: camdenton mo | Registered: 16 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had two Leupold 30 mm scopes...very very good scopes, but not in the league of Swarovskis or Schmidts with respect to light gathering, which I place at a premium. I was told by one wholesaler and one writer that the 30mm Leupolds are, indeed, good scopes, but won't gather light like a true 30 mm scope because they only have 1" optics inside the 30mm tube: hence, it will only gather light like a 1" scope would. While that is great news for range of adjustment issues, I did notice that the twilight factot was not much more than the garden variety 1" scopes, assuming equal objective lens diameters.

Posts: 373 | Location: Leesburg, GA | Registered: 22 October 2005Reply With Quote