Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bushnell/Weaver/Nikon
 Login/Join

posted
I just purchased a RRA Varminter and am looking for a good, but not too expensive scope. This will be used for targets, rabbits, maybe a coyote or fifty. Target range near my house is up to 600 yards, so shots will be anywhere from 50 to 600 yards. I've narrowed it down to these three:

Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24x40 ($399)
Weaver Grand Slam 6-20x40 ($355)
Nikon Monarch 6.5-20x44 ($415)

I'm not worried about weight or size as most shots will be taken from a bench or the bed of a truck.

Any thoughts as to which would work best?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I personally like them in the following order.

Nikon Monarch
Weaver Grand Slam
Bushnell Elite 4200

All three are very close, but I think the Nikon has a very slight edge with the Weaver and Bushnell being about the same.

Posts: 750 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 15 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
I'll second Jon's assessment. While any of the three would serve you well, I would definitely select the Nikon. I have two of these exact models, and they're superb.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9344 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the quick replies. I was leaning towards the Nikon (well, really wanted another Conquest but it seems prices have gone up since I got mine). Is there any other scope in this price range that would work better than the Nikon? Or would I be better off just giving Jon my credit card number and quit all this research stuff?

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
There's nothing in that price range that will out-perform the Nikon. The Zeiss is ever-so-slightly better overall, but you probably could never detect the difference in the field or on the range. And the cost is a good bit higher than the Nikon.

By the way, Jon's Nikon prices are the best you'll find.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9344 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:

By the way, Jon's Nikon prices are the best you'll find.

Even if his prices weren't the lowest, he'd still get my business. When I bought my Conquest last year, it had to have been the smoothest internet purchase I have ever made. It just happens to be a big plus that his prices are so low. Last time I was going to order from a dealer down in Texas, but they gave me too much runaround with their 110% price guarantee, so I found it somewhere else. Ended up being a great move, and I have no plans to go anywhere else.

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
BigWhip-I've dealt with the Texas outfit you refer to (it HAS to be the same one with that guarantee you mention) exactly once -- and I won't do it again. I don't need anything at the moment, but when I do, it will be theopticzone.com (Jon) that gets my $$. Jon contributes here and often gives detailed advice, and unlike many business people, you don't see any bias or ulterior motives under a hidden agenda coming through. That's rare in today's world...

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

One of Us
Picture of Foxhunter223
posted Hide Post
Bigwhip,
I bought a Weaver Grand Slam 6-20x40 off Jon a short time ago when they were on special. It is a great scope and I am very happy with it. Not only were the opticzone very helpful but it was delivered to my door in six days. As I live in Australia this is remarkable delivery.
Pete

Posts: 233 | Location: Northern NSW Australia | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the support guys. I really do appreciate it!

Posts: 750 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 15 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Yeah Pete, that's pretty quick. Here in the states he beats most of the other outfits in shipping as well.

Have a Good One

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote