New
Find
Notify
Tools

varmit scope suggestions
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
For the last few years I've been using a tasco 6-24x50. Am now looking to upgrade for better clarity. What would you folks recommend for a casual varmit hunter who likely won't shoot much beyond 300 yds? I know you get what you pay for in optics I'm looking in the $200 range. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

7mm. guy

shoot straight or shoot often.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
At the risk of blasphemy...have you considering looking at some of the older Unertl, Lyman or Weavers? You can usually pick these fine old scopes up for way under $200.00. I recently bought a 8x Unertl Vulture with internal adjustments for $125.00. The resolution and clarity of this old scope is incredible. Just a thought you might want to consider because you can usually get allot more scope for your money by going for a used older model rather than a new one.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
The Mulers are getting good press and are in your price range.

If you could swing alittle more $$$, I'd go for the Nikon BMs 6-18. I bought the 6-18 and it has proven very crisp and reliable when compared to other scopes in that power range, in fact, much better than some.

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
just what reloader said

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Midway just sent me an advertisement for their Nikon 6-18 BM for $229? I think. That is a $120 savings. I know nothing of that scope as a matter of fact I'm trying to figure out what to buy next myself.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
<cobra44>
posted
I used a Burris fullfield II 6.5 X 24 X 50 with AO and Fine plex crosshair and 1 inch. tube a bit over $300.00 but a very good scope, if you want to step up one more notch try the Lepould 6.5 X 24 X 50 30mm tube and side paralax Adj. really good light gathering Clear coated optics and if you put eigther one of these in a set of quality rings that have been lapped for positive alignment you will be very happy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I mounted a Bushnell Banner 6-18 AO on a target 10/22 that is pretty nice for under $200. Don't know if they still make them. Also don't know if I'd trust it on a gun that kicks hard.

"The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter" - Winston Churchill

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just got an email from http://www.wholesalehunter.com
They are selling a Weaver 6-24X42 classic V with fine crosshair for $299. I use a 4-16 on my 17HMR and have been extremely satisfied. Not too many scopes are readily available with fine crosshair, and I think it a real pluss for varminting. It's a good deal.

Posts: 1978 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you're shooting at 300 yards or less, then a Leupold VX-1 4-12 will provide plenty of magnification and will have signigficantly better resolution than your current Trashco. They're priced at $249 everywhere, but you can find an "unadvertised" special for a little less or buy a used one off of ebay for around your $200 limit.

In high magnification variables, stay as far as possible from the low end Asian-made scopes like your present model as they can give you fits with focus, point of impact shift, and any number of other problems.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cheaptrick
posted Hide Post
As already stated by earlier posters, the Nikon Buckmaster w/ a mil dot and side focus is one of the "best buys" in optics going right now.

cheaptrick.....out!!

Posts: 238 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
I have a Nikon Buckmaster 6-18 and the Monarch 5.5-16.5. Both are really good, the Monarch is much better.

The Buckmaster 6-18 is comparible to the Fullfield 2 or the Leupold VX2.

The Monarch is comparible to the Burris Signature or the VX3.

I guess it depends on what you like.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have three varmint scopes:
1) Tasco Varmint 6-24 with Mil-dot $80
2) VX-III 4.5-14 varmint reticle $500
3) VX-III 6-20 $540

The Tasco is pretty clear to 16x. Not bright enough at higher magnification. It surely is a great cost effective scope for varmint and target shooting. I tried it on my .308 semi-auto and it handled the recoil with no problems.

Danny

Posts: 157 | Location: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: 09 February 2003Reply With Quote