Notify
Tools

Dilema? VX3 2.5-8 or 3.5-10; mounting length
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted
This arrived yesterday in 257 Roberts.

The scope you see in the pic is a VX3 4.5-14x40 with AO. As you can see the distance from front to back of the S&K rings is 5.135 to 5.14" depending upon how I measure it. That 4.5-14 has a mounting length of 5.4"

I really want to mount a 2.5-8x32 with B&C reticle. It only has a mounting length of 5.12". I know the Leupold data says 5.1" but a call to Leupold and they actually measure it for me and it came out 5.12".

Now, do I dare try and stick a 2.5-8 in there and hope it works or step up the 3.5-10x40? I looked hard at the 1.75x6 but it does not come with nor can be customized to have a B&C reticle installed.

Help?

Alan

Posts: 1719 | Location: Utah | Registered: 01 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Matte 6x42 wearing M1 ele turret and Duplex.

One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
Busheler,

I'm a turret twisting whore but I want to keep the lines on this rifle clean; no tall turrets.

I just tried turning the base 180 deg but it just got further apart.

Alan

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Results interest me too much,to leave that much benefit off the rifle.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GSSP:
Busheler,

I'm a turret twisting whore but I want to keep the lines on this rifle clean; no tall turrets.

I just tried turning the base 180 deg but it just got further apart.

Alan

You can get a MOA CDS turret which is quite low.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Junk +P.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Daughter's been shooting my old preban with cheapie leupold scope and getting pretty good at it too. So this is first year she wants to kill some caribou and I bought her a 6.8 spc stagg, standard M4 with adjustable buttstock.

I got to find a leupold scope and have been thinking about several different VX-3's. 2X8X36 3.5X10X40 or 3.5X10X50 with Illuminated reticle. All three have B&C but I know with the 6.8 spc, probably won't be shooting over 300 yards anyway. All will fit on AR, but might need super high rings. They also have 1.5X5X20 illum ret but not B&C.

Got to order one this week, commonsense (not from Texas) tells me to stay with the bottom end leupold but when you spend over 500 on scope; you want something that will work on any gun.

For Ar 6.8, would you go with the 20 mm or the 50 mm Illum leupold? Mostly will be road hunting & off snowmachine on the river.

Posts: 521 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 12 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd greedily take the 6x42 Duplex/M1 over any of the lot,especially on the AR for a kid.

The gracious latitude in where full eyerelief starts/stops,will literally open windows of opportunity.

M4 butt is a great call,for Young 'Uns.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For conversation and perhaps the semantics of aesthetic bantying...I shot this seconds ago(pardon the inclement weather,it's all that I get).

The lines do not fall from grace,though opportunity rises in a nonlineal fashion...with the incorporation of crosshair intersection melding with POA/POI.

I'd be unwilling to trade that for anything.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Can you go somewhere where you can try them out and see how they fit? Surely one or the other will fit the rifle or you better. Once you find a scope that fits you could order it with the reticule you prefer. The scope you have on there now looks too big IMHO

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For Killing,the 6x42 can't be beat for fixed. Nor the 1" 3.5-10x 40mm non-AO for a variable.

For Play Toys the 30mm 3.5-10x M1 LR gets my love,as do the MK4 6x M3...the 3.5-10x stealing the show.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
How about different bases and rings? Leupold STD come in plain, R/F, R/R, R/both, R being reversible. I don't know if their Dual Dovetail come reversible or not?

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1597 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
STD's are to be avoided like the plague.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
GSSP if Leupold STD's fit, you can always pin the rear and use epoxy/loctite to give it better hold once it has been adjusted.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1597 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
My preference would be the 2.5-8 with the Leupold extended rear base. I have that very scope with the B&C reticle on my M70 9.3x62 and love it.

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One of my reasons for using Leupolds is a exclusive reticle (Leupold dot). There is nothing like just focusing on a dot. Especially for moving targets. I suppose a personal preference but I have about had all my Leupolds changed to this reticle.

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
GSSP,

Why don’t you check with S&K to determine if they offer a ring extending two piece base set; here’s a link to their website:
http://www.scopemounts.com/index.html?instamain.html

If not check out Conetrol bases and rings as they do offer a ring extending two piece bases here’s a link to their website:
http://www.conetrol.com/stainless_mounts.htm

I’ll not argue as to who was around first but they do look very similar in appearance and function.

Jim coffee
"Life's hard; it's harder if you're stupid"
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
I appreciate all the suggestions.

I think my plan is as follows.

1. Buy the 2.5-8 and see if it fits.

2. If not, contact S&K to see what they can do as far as a rear base which will put the rear ring forward a bit. If they can provide that, then buy it in the white and have Glen Morovits, the original 'smith rust blue it to match the rest of the rifles metal.

Tah dah!

Alan

one of us
posted Hide Post
If that works I think you will have done very well. Let us know how it turns out.

One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
Tah Dah!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
with cheapie leupold scope

Ain't no such thing . . . shame

one of us
posted Hide Post
If it fits as well as it looks you are in business. Good luck!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Tah Dah!

That is the devil in the details with the 2.5-8X LEU being the short mounting length. I like the clean lines of the centered LEU dual dovetail mounts on a clean looking Super Grade. I dislike Frankenstein mounts that must be extended to jam up the loading port to mount this scope. With the LEUs, it required that I mill the forward face of the front ring and the rear face of the back ring to cleanly mount this short scope within the LEU short tube specs. It worked well with the modified LEUs, but I see your mounts worked straight out of the gate.

BestSmiler

One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
It fit with a skootch of extra; 'bout 1/32". dancing

One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GaryVA:
quote:
Tah Dah!

That is the devil in the details with the 2.5-8X LEU being the short mounting length. I like the clean lines of the centered LEU dual dovetail mounts on a clean looking Super Grade. I dislike Frankenstein mounts that must be extended to jam up the loading port to mount this scope. With the LEUs, it required that I mill the forward face of the front ring and the rear face of the back ring to cleanly mount this short scope within the LEU short tube specs. It worked well with the modified LEUs, but I see your mounts worked straight out of the gate.

BestSmiler

Fantastic!