New
Find
Notify
Tools

1/4 to 1/2 MOA Change On Leupy?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was re-sighting in a rifle and scope (Vari-X III) that I've had for 19 years. My 130 gr. partitions shoot to a different POI than my 130 gr. Coreloks. I was shooting 200 yards. The partitions were grouping 2-3/4" right. So I moved the scope 6 clicks to the left. Fired two shots and they went 3" left of point of aim.
Moved the scope back right 3 clicks and Bingo - center of aim.
It aint the first time I shot it at 200 yards and I don't remember any problems.
Any ideas why?

"The right to bear arms" insures your right to freedom, free speech, religion, your choice of doctors, etc. ....etc. ....etc....
-----------------------------------one trillion seconds = 31,709 years-------------------

Posts: 1521 | Location: Just about anywhere in Texas | Registered: 26 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It sounds like you have 1/2 moa clicks. I believe at various times the Vari-x III was made with both 1/4 and 1/2 moa clicks.

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
According to the info on the scope it says: 1 click = 1/4" @ 100 yards.

"The right to bear arms" insures your right to freedom, free speech, religion, your choice of doctors, etc. ....etc. ....etc....
-----------------------------------one trillion seconds = 31,709 years-------------------

Posts: 1521 | Location: Just about anywhere in Texas | Registered: 26 January 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
The partitions were grouping 2-3/4" right. So I moved the scope 6 clicks to the left. Fired two shots and they went 3" left of point of aim.

That would be nearly 6" of change for 2.5" of internal adjustment (@ 1/2" per click @200yds.).

Are you changing magnification in between groups? That can affect POI.

Box it up and send it back to Leupold with a description of the problem.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like Leupold scopes and have relied on them for years. But with all due respect to the quality of their products, their adjustments for vindage and elevation have always been a bit ho-hum. The newer models VX-3 (as opposed to the older VX-III ?) seem to have improved a lot in this respect.

It is not a surprise to me (in particular on an older Leupold) to get about double the expected adjustment per click. Some scopes (from other manufacturers) might have given you a left adjustment when you intended it to go right Roll Eyes. Be happy and keep shooting your Leupold!

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike's comments are spot-on. I use Leupolds almost exclusively for a number of very good reasons, but consistent 1/4" adjustment increments is NOT one of them.

Many older friction-type Leupolds were marked in approximately 1/2 MOA increments (though that information is unclear in their literature or markings), and the clicks on detent-style adjustments are frequently more coarse than 1/4 MOA.

Fortunately, whatever the coarseness or fineness of the adjustments, they do tend to be pretty consistent, i.e., when you moved it back by one half the number of clicks the bullet impact moved back by the same one-half.

BTW: Forty years ago when Leupold surpassed Redfield in reputation as the premium hunting scope on the market, its friction adjustments were touted by "knowledgable" gun enthusiasts as being "infinately" adjustable and not restricting you to a minimum jump of 1/4", thus the friction adjustments were regarded as more sophisticated and desirable than lesser brands like Weaver. Just shows you how fashion changes.

Posts: 13235 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote