THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM OPTICS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Optics    Has anyone got one of the new Zeiss 4-16x50 Victory's yet

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Has anyone got one of the new Zeiss 4-16x50 Victory's yet
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Jon2
posted
Just wondered if anyone has one of these yet and what they think of it?

The thing that I am trying to establish is what the adjustments are in. I have found some info online which says 1 cm clicks and another (the youtube clip of the Zeiss rep at one of the US shotshows) that says 1/3 MOA clicks!

Not sure why they would do it in 1/3 MOA but just wondered if anyone could enlighten me.

Thanks

JB

Posts: 596 | Location: Cheshire, England | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
1 cm clicks (or probably more correctly .1 mil clicks) are approximately one-third of an inch or MOA (actually .36 inch). So I'd guess they are doing it not to confuse those of us still clinging to the English system of weights and measures.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jon2
posted Hide Post
Ah ok yes that could be it but there are 2.54 cm's to the inch and not that I am a perfectionist or anything but if you were using that measurement (3cm's to the inch) you would be considerably out at long range. Thanks though as I suppose the guys in the youtube clip were making a generalisation.

It also as you say would make more sense for them to be in 1 Milrads.

I would like to get my hands on one to have a good look but I haven't come across anyone who has one yet.

Anyone got one out there?

Posts: 596 | Location: Cheshire, England | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of The Shottist
posted Hide Post
I have the 6-24X56 Victory with the #73 reticle (AKA Rapid Z1000) It is a great piece of glass. I really like the rapid Z reticle. Several guys on snipers hide and long range hunting have the 4-14 Victory and they like them.

If your hunting dog is fat, then you aren't getting enough exercise. Smiler

Posts: 598 | Location: currently N 34.41 W 111.54 | Registered: 10 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of The Shottist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jon2:

It also as you say would make more sense for them to be in 1 Milrads.

Milrads and cm turrets are the same.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sniper#Targeting

"Explanation: 1 MIL = 1 milli-radian. That is, 1 MIL = 1x10^-3 radian. But, 10^-3 rad x (360 deg/ (2 x Pi) radians) = 0.0573 degrees. Now, 1 MOA = 1/60 degree = 0.01667 degrees. Hence, there are 0.0573/0.01667 = 3.43775 MOA per MIL, where MIL is defined as a milli-radian. On the other hand, defining a mil-dot by the US Army way, to equate it to 1-yard (1 m) at 1,000 yards (1,000 m), means the Army's mil-dot is approximately 3.6 MOA."

1 click on a milrad turret is .1 mil which is .36 MOA

1 click on a cm turret scope is the same.

Most shooters easily understand 1 click equals x inches or cm's at 100 yards. Milrads are an angular measurement. So when you try tell them that 1 click equals 1/1000 of the distance, their eyes glazed and they start making animal grunting noises and pass out.

If your hunting dog is fat, then you aren't getting enough exercise. Smiler

Posts: 598 | Location: currently N 34.41 W 111.54 | Registered: 10 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jon2:

Not sure why they would do it in 1/3 MOA but just wondered if anyone could enlighten me.

Thanks

JB

Gladly. The clicks are 1cm (or 0.1mil) which is APPROX. 1/3 MOA at 100 METERS, not yards.