New
Find
Notify
Tools

Illuminated scopes
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am having a hard time finding a decent cheap illuminated scope. i want one to be about a
4-10x50 that I will be shooting around 200 yards at most. I don't want to spend more than $400. It would be nice to be able to have turrets for bullet drop or just a couple mil dots or some sort to compensate for bullet drop as it will be on a shotgun shooting slugs. Any ideas out there that may work othr than the $100 crap out there?

Posts: 894 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might want to take a look at the Mueller Eraticator 8.5- 25 x 50. They may have one in the 4-10 range.

life member NRA (Endowment)
member Arizona Big Horn Sheep Society
member Arizona Antelope Foundation
member Arizona Wildlife Foundation

Posts: 146 | Location: Oracle, Az. | Registered: 01 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
You talk about "$100 crap" and a "decent cheap illuminated scope." I'm thinking if you want a decent illuminated scope you may have to pay more than $400.

I don't know what your plans are for the scope but a good scope without illumination allows you to see when it's pretty dark and if you need illumination you could use a spotlight. I've made several shots this year when it was pretty dark (around 9:30 PM) and though I had illumination available, I didn't need it.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As said before, IMO you want too many things for less than 400$

Posts: 1459 | Location: north-west Italy | Registered: 16 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SIKA98K
posted Hide Post
I dont think decent cheap illuminated scopes exist yet.
It has been a long learning,read expensive,curve but with scopes you pay for what you get.

Posts: 456 | Location: Ireland | Registered: 12 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Trijicon Scopes offer a revolutionary self-luminous reticle which is clearly visible against game, even in the lowest light conditions as per the company's advert. Do a search, and read up on it. It may just be what you are looking for, but you may have to pay more than $400.

http://www.trijicon.com/user/p...k_row=3&categoryID=5

Trijicon AccuPoint®

The Trijicon AccuPoint® features advanced fiber optics and several intelligent features that make this scope the right choice for all light conditions and even the harshest environments.

All models in the AccuPoint® Series operate battery free—eliminating the potential for failure during critical moments in the field. They also feature Trijicon's Manual Brightness Adjustment Override, which allows you to control the light output of the fiber-optics during daylight. AccuPoint® riflescopes include other advanced elements like multi-layer coated lenses for superior light transmission with no distortion, quick-focus eyepiece, long-eye relief, and precise windage and elevation adjustments.

The AccuPoint®'s rugged construction protects it from the toughest elements. It's crafted from aircraft-quality, hard-anodized aluminum with a tube that’s nitrogen-filled to prevent corrosion and eliminate fogging. A solid black-matte finish eliminates glare and light reflection, which could spook game. And, it’s water resistant to depths of 10 feet, so the AccuPoint is able to handle even the most challenging hunting conditions.

Warrior

Posts: 2273 | Location: South of the Zambezi | Registered: 31 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The problem with illuminated reticles in low light (the most common use) is to avoid the illumination over-powering the target. For that, you need an illumination which can be adjusted WAY down. It is rare to find such attributes in cheaper scopes.

If you want illumination to help you with shooting in low light, consider getting a non-illuminated scope of better quality with a heavy reticle - e.g. a German #4. The Zeiss Conquest 3-9x50 with the German #4 is an excellent low light scope, and the optical quality is very good.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 10,3x60r
posted Hide Post
Hello, i use one red dot for night Hunting an Red Fox and Badger, the problem is sure the low light on Night.

The frist stuf of my dot is to heigt, i have difficulty on the shot!

Member in Shooting Game "Tiro distretto Moesa" www.tirodicaccia.com and webmaster from www.scgroven.jimdo.com Smiler webmaster Hunting website www.mesolcina-caccia.com and fly fishing website www.mesolcinapam.jimdo.com on FB find Al Venza.

Posts: 339 | Location: Switzerland, Lostallo GR | Registered: 12 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try the Vortex 3x9 by 40mm Crossfire. It has an illuminated dot that can be turned WAY down. The thing works like a champ and sells for a hundred and fifty bucks. $149.95, actually. I have two of them, one on an '06, the other on a .223.

Posts: 807 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 03 November 2007Reply With Quote