Find
Notify
Tools

My Leupold repair experience
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of larkin
posted
Many have posted here about receiving free repairs or new replacement scopes at no charge from Leupold following sending in their old scopes for service. Reading these accounts spurred me to sending in my VX3 2-1/2 X 8 to Leupold for repairs which had damage to the top turret cap and threads from a fall to a rock (sling swivel failure). Certainly no fault of Leupold, in fact a testament to the scopes ruggedness n not worse damage. Upon receiving the scope I was contacted by Leupold's service rep and told the scope needed both a new lens and turret related parts and a repair price with return shipping somewhere around $150.00 which I agreed to. I did not ask about all the no-fault free replacement or repair that is being reported often in forums and perhaps I should of.
My motive in sharing this is to counter the impression others are giving that any Leupold scope in any condition, bought by anyone can by sent back to Leupold and will be replaced with a new one. Perhaps Leupold does do this sometimes and is their call, but my experience suggests it is not automatic as some have suggested in this forum.

Posts: 81 | Location: n.e. wa | Registered: 03 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Good to hear your story. The $150 is still cheap compared with the $540 I paid Kahles/agent just to get the moisture out of my Helia Super 27 - and that was 13 years ago.

Posts: 4969 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is no such things as a free lunch. Leupold's customer service may be great, as has been indicated by many who have received new scopes or had repairs done for free, but that service has already been paid for by an insurance policy that is built into the cost of every new scope they make. And as with every insurance policy, there are some claims that insurers will just not pay due to some measure of fault by the owner.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
What would the same repair cost with Nikon, Zeiss, Kahles, Swarovski?
What was your turnaround time?
How would that compare with an overseas repair?

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snellstrom:
What would the same repair cost with Nikon, Zeiss, Kahles, Swarovski?
What was your turnaround time?
How would that compare with an overseas repair?

Not exactly the same repair, but year before last I sent a PH friends 27 year old Zeiss binos in for lens repair; new lenses $70.00. Last year I sent the same PH's new Zeiss binos in for repair (got run over by his Land Cruiser) and a new pair was sent free of charge...not bad service.

Karl

Karl Evans

Posts: 2761 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Most people have had a very positive experience with Leupold's service, while a few not so much.

But the very best thing that can be said about Leupold's service is that it is rarely needed. I've probably owned in excess of 100 Leupold scopes over 49 years of using them, and have needed to send in exactly one for service. That was a first generation Vari-X which was purchased used and apparently had something come loose during the many years of its use in the field. I may be luckier than average, but a hundred or so scopes over nearly a half century is a pretty good statistical sample and a strong indicator of their quality of design and manufacture.

Posts: 13235 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Even more interesting than the reliability you cite, Stonecreek, is the number of scopes you've owned.

Unless you were at or "on" the range every day, it is hard for me to understand how one person could use 100 scopes often enough to really judge many of them as to ongoing reliability - and a resting riflescope gathers few dings.

Have you used many other brands extensively, as well?

Posts: 4969 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sambarman338:
Even more interesting than the reliability you cite, Stonecreek, is the number of scopes you've owned.

Unless you were at or "on" the range every day, it is hard for me to understand how one person could use 100 scopes often enough to really judge many of them as to ongoing reliability - and a resting riflescope gathers few dings.

Have you used many other brands extensively, as well?

Have you divided 100 by 49 years? That's only about two per year, which doesn't seem like so many when you think of it that way, now does it? And for all but a small fraction of those 49 years I've lived in the country where I had my own range only steps from my back door.

No, I've not used many other brands, and none of them nearly as extensively as Leupold. That is simply because every other brand I've had occasion to try has been in one way or another inferior to Leupold in field applications; or have been so much more expensive as to make trying them unwarranted.

I've used a lot (maybe between a half dozen and a dozen) of the old El Paso Weavers, and they have their strong points. Like amazing repeatability of adjustment, for instance, and tough-as-nails steel tubes. And if you don't mind sighting through a yellowish-gray haze, they're fine old scopes.

I've used various "off" brands, mostly on rimfire rifles. Most of those off-brand scopes (and certain "on brands" like Bushnell), regardless of the name stamped on them, were made by either Nikko or another of the Asian optics companies. They are almost universally very good scopes -- if in a low magnification fixed power. When they attempt to make a cheap scope with higher and variable magnification the product is usually next to worthless.

The old Rochester-made Bausch & Lomb scopes had magnificent optics. I once owned one of their target-style 6-24X variables and was amazed that when I fine-focused suddenly .22 caliber holes popped into view at 400+ yards. The Balfor and Balvar lines were the Cadillacs of hunting scopes, but their adjustable mounting system unfortunately put them too high above the receiver to allow a proper cheek rest.

I have a close friend who has a gun store, and sometimes I'll drop by to help him mount a scope or do some other type of simple gunsmithing. He occasionally has a customer who insists on his ordering a Zeiss or Swarovski. All of the Zeiss provide a sight picture that is like looking through the cardboard cylinder inside a roll of paper towels. The image is surrounded by a thick ring of black. The Swarovskis have excellent optics -- at least as good as the old Rochester B&L's -- but their physical dimensions are usually outsized and awkward as well as their weight seeming to be double that of a Leupold. And while I've shot just a few Zeiss or Swarovski-mounted rifles at the bench, they seem so poorly adapted to hunting that I can't quite see why anyone would bother with them.

Then there are the camera companies that think they know how to build a riflescope. I once owned a trail camera from Leupold. It gave the term "piece of sh*t" a bad reputation. Just as I found it is best not to buy cameras from riflescope companies, it is best not to buy riflescopes from camera companies.

Perhaps this was a rather verbose answer to a fairly succinct question, but then the question did seem to invite a detailed answer.

Good shooting, and as the Swedes say, "Crappy hunting!"

Posts: 13235 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Thanks Stonecreek,
for that informative explanation, most of which I'm forced to agree with.

Except it's bedtime I'd comment further - maybe tomorrow.

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Oh bovver!
I'd just spent 30 minutes slaving over a reply, Stonecreek, when the gremlins got it, so may be briefer here.

Until two years ago I'd not bought more than a dozen scopes in 40 years, rarely two of the same brand because I like to try different things. Since starting to collect, though, I've added another couple of dozen (incl. 10 Nickels!) but I'd prefer you don't tell my wife. I'd love to add to my old American scopes, too, but the very mention of Unertl could make the G-men prick up their ears.

I can get modern Leupolds at will from a shop 300 yards away, however, and agree they are near as good as it gets with image-movement. The only new scope I know of with better field blending (at term used by Townsend Whelen, I see) is the Zeiss Victory Diavari 1.5-6x42. That of certain other Zeissen Smiler like the fat-rubbered Duralyt, is as you describe.

Some Japanese scopes have been excellent. Kowa made at least some early Bushnells, I understand, and one of my favorite scopes for .22s was the 1970s Nikko Stirling 4x40 Mountmaster. Its "egg-shaped" ocular housing gave it blending to rival my best Nickel Supra. A later 3-9 variable had gathered the rubber eyepiece and I wish I'd never bought it. I have gathered an increasing suspicion about variables with long slots to the power scroll, esp. for hunting in wet country.

I've got two B&Ls and have great admiration for them and the 'Custom' mounting system. I am reading the company's 1954 Facts about Hunting Sights (reprinted now by Cornell Publications), in which they warn against unnecessarily large scope bells causing mounting problems. Considering they kept the oculars small because of that, I'm surprised they did not work on the height of the mounts. Food for thought here if any maker ever goes back to the true path.

Yes, though Nikon made the Toyota Landcruiser of SLR cameras and their lenses are still excellent, I fear they don't really understand what is needed in riflescopes.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sambarman - An earlier thread in which you posted contains a couple of posts suggesting that Nikon do in fact know how to make a riflescope, particularly as regards recoil tolerance Smiler

As for myself, I'm happy to go with with whatever 3x erector ratio Leupold model is their top of the line (in 3x erector) whenever I need to buy a scope. I've needed to send a couple back, but the faults have not affected their zero or huntability. And just to keep it on topic, the service on the repairs was faultness.

If I want anything better it's step all the way up to Zeiss Victory. I understand why those from the USA don't fancy the heavier euro scopes, but the fact is that those scopes are made for Euro hunting conditions, and as such excel in Europe (and wherever else the same conditions may apply)

For light, compact and reliable, with unsurpassed backup, I go for Leupies. I tired of the lovely optics (for the times)in early Kahles after being let down by them fogging up when hunting a couple of times. Getting them fixed was a full on pain !!

Posts: 155 | Location: Victoria Australia | Registered: 30 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Thanks Secondtry,
I glean you've read a post concerning the lost chamois. My pilgrimage is ongoing and at that time I thought bumps were the main danger; now I agree with Swarovski and Leupold, it's the ongoing shock of recoil to the erector tube that will get us.

I also wonder about scopes with high erector ratios; not from any scientific point of view but because I suspect they mean more weight at the front end to be thrown about under recoil. So yes, stick with 3x.

Cheers

one of us
posted Hide Post
Forgive my ignorance, but when you say 3x erector ratio, would that enable power ranges of 3x9, 4x12, etc.?

sputster

Posts: 760 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well its my turn to try out Leupold service. I have a 2x7 that has the eye piece snapped off the main tube. Part of the main tube is still threaded inside the eyepiece. I can't see any way it can be repaired. I'll report what happens next.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sputster:
Forgive my ignorance, but when you say 3x erector ratio, would that enable power ranges of 3x9, 4x12, etc.?

Yes, 3-9 and 4-12 scopes have 3x multiples and 2-7s usually are, too, because the range covered may be slightly less than claimed.

Your situation sounds like deserving a new scope under warranty, LJS.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Leupold 2-7x are in actuality 2.2 to 6.6, rounding up and down of course.

Posts: 1330 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
I learned the hard way... Junk or mid range scopes from early on..

That being said, the only scopes I ever had to send back for repair were a couple fogged up Redifieds and a 1.5x5 Leupold that suddenly wouldn't hold zero on my 375.

Now I have a Leupold 6.5x20x50AO that doesn't want to focus... and has developed a parallax issue... It will be going back as soon as I get around to packing it up...

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1963 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just got back from the post office from sending my Leupold 10x40's back for the third time.

About every 6 to 8 years they start to go grey inside and loose their sharpness.

They have always fixed them back up for free. We will see how it goes this time.

The last two times turn around time was around 2 weeks.

Received a pair of Vortex Viper 10x42 HD's for Christmas. Damn tough to tell the quality difference between them and my friends older Swarovski's. When the Leupold's get back it will be interesting to compare them

Posts: 1464 | Location: Southwestern Idaho, USA!!!! | Registered: 29 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Leupold just informed me an entire new scope tube is needed at a cost of $101.00. Obviously not all repairs are free. Still better than a new scope! I'm not complaining.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got about 5 dozen Leupold scopes, and finally had my first warranty return. It had developed excessive parallax, which might have been related to falling on it, dropping it a few times and using the rifle for a walking stick but might have just been bad luck. All the same hunt too.

About 1 week turn-around time and I'm back in the game. I was shooting it out to 650 yesterday, life is good.

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LJS:
Leupold just informed me an entire new scope tube is needed at a cost of $101.00. Obviously not all repairs are free. Still better than a new scope! I'm not complaining.

I'm not sure what criteria the service department uses in determining when and whether to charge. Some have reported similar circumstances as yours and gotten a new scope for free. Maybe it depends on which service supervisor happens to "triage" your repair order.

Regardless, I'd agree that a hundred bucks to repair an otherwise worthless scope is not a bad deal -- anecdotes indicate that repairs can't be had on some scope brands for any amount of time or money spent.

One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
Very informative and well-said, Stonecreek. Your experiences with Leupold are the primary reason I'll buy used scopes. I've gotten a few good deals in the bargain bin at local gun shows and gun stores simply because I know the Leupold quality is likely present, and even if it's not, I can get it repaired for a fraction of the cost of a new scope.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought a used Leupold off EBAY. It was not nearly as described. It needed repair. I sent it in. They called me and said they could fix it, but if I wanted to cosmetically upgrade it, they would give me a discount on a new one. They quoted me a price on a compact 3x-9x with EFR that I couldn't refuse. I also agree that B&L Rochester NY made optics were some of the best. Looking for a good pair of binoculars or a spotting scope--go to EBAY and find Rochester NY made and they are a bargain.

Posts: 3808 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My scope arrived today. Apparently it could not be repaired. Leupold sent me a brand new scope. What more can you ask for? I was told earlier I would be charged $101.00. I'm anxious to get my credit card bill since the packing slip/invoice made no mention of a charge. Stay tuned!

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
I reckon it is their shout.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My credit card bill arrived today and I was charged the $101.00. Still a very positive outcome. My broken scope was junk and now I have a new current production 2x7. No complaints from me about Leupold service!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anecdotally, it seems that damage that is made by human error is not being covered fully, but damage created by regular use (heavy recoil or such) still is.

Last month I sent in a M7-4X that a lense rattled loose. I was hoping they'd just take it apart, screw everything back down, and purge the atmosphere out of it. After getting it, they called and said it was 'obsolete' and offered me a brand new scope (a FII 4x33). It arrived and seems like it's very nice.

But now, we are having a bit of an issue, as I also sent in a pair of Leupold Gold Ring binoculars. There was a small pair in the rubber armor. I called and asked them if they could fix them, they said send them in. So, I sent them in.

Fast forward a few weeks, and another FII 4x33 shows up at my door. Evidently, something in their computer told them that they could replace any obsolete items with this scope (because of the prior M7 incident).

I called them up and explained the situation, which they quickly understood as their mistake. They offered to send me a new set of Leupold Binos, as they could not repair the rubber armor on my old Gold Rings. Sadly, they don't make binos in the USA anymore, so I don't want the new ones. Even worse, because the workerbee that send the FII thought the deal was done, they destroyed my Gold Rings and now have nothing to send me back.

I actually posted a question to this forum a few days ago because Leupold and I are trying to come up with a fair credit in return for my Gold Rings. We haven't come to an agreement yet, but they are offering about $1200 worth of credit. Sadly, when you're working with MSRP, that doesn't actually equate to much of a scope, and I'd really rather have my slightly dinged up Gold Rings back.

Posts: 1307 | Location: South Puget Sound, WA | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
$1200 credit seems exceedingly generous to me, given the fact that gold ring hd binocs (I have 2 pair of them) are worth $500-$600.

I'd be pissed though that they got destroyed. They are still fantastic binoculars.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stokes,
ask Leupold for a Leica binocular replacement since they "were" building riflescope for them and they might still have an account with them.
Maybe a Leica riflescope?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I could get another pair of 12x50s for $5-600, I'd probably by them. I'm sure that is the right number for them, but they don't come up for sale all that regularly. I also believe that the Leupold Gold Ring binos were very underrated, and carried a real value in the pricing category.

But, still. I liked those binos. If they would have let me know before sending them in that they could not repair the tear in the armor, I'd of just sucked it up, as it wasn't *that* big of a deal. I didn't even expect them to repair that for free or anything. I was just surprised that they destroy the old stuff the take out of service. I guess they probably do this so it doesn't find it's way out of the back door and then brought back thru their system again.

$1200 in credit will get me two 4.5-14x40, 1" VX3 rifle scopes. Not my favorite scope, but I'm sure would sell for more than by binos would have sold. I still would rather have the binos.

Posts: 1307 | Location: South Puget Sound, WA | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In December 2014 I sent for repairs a 35 year old Leopold 6X scope. About a month ago came a new FX 6X36 no charge.

That is service!!

Regards, Keith

Posts: 208 | Location: S.W. Wyoming | Registered: 31 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stokes,
check your your PM.

one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
Shipped my VX-III 6.5x20x40 off to Leupold for parallax and focusing issues.

I got a post card saying they got it on 2/9 and it was expected to be completed in 18 days, so I'm thinking I should have it next week.. just as the weather begins to break!

NRA Benefactor.

Posts: 1963 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just to give a little update to my situation...

After going back and forth with Leupold for a few weeks, we were finally able to come up with a solution I not only found acceptable, but would even consider generous.

They really did take good care of me.

one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
Finally got my VX-III 6.5x20 AO back..

It took 34 days from teh time they received it till the time I got it back. Haven't unpacked it yet, will get to it this weekend, and mount it on my 243..

NRA Benefactor.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm one of the yeah sayers..I sent a scope to them that a horse rolled over and broke it in half, told them no fault of Leupold but could it be fixed..I got a new one within 10 days...

I had an excited client twist the eyepiece off my binocs. sent them back got a new pair right away and my repaired one in 30 days..Called them about their mistake, they asked that I enjoy both and please don't mess up our book keeping by returning either one.

I tore up several scope on a very light weight 505 Gibbs Imp. Sent them back twice times for repair at no charge, they ended up repairing them twice time each..Called me and said Hey were sending you two 2.5X compacts that will take any calibers recoil, no charge...They were right, they are the toughest scopes I have ever used and would work on a 20mm without a brake!

Must be my charming easy going personality! Whistling

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kahles did a full rework on a second hand scope no charge to me. Maybe they changed their warranty coverage.

Posts: 193 | Location: Raleigh,NC | Registered: 26 September 2010Reply With Quote