Find
Notify
Tools

Need a new scope at a moderate price?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of AI22-250
posted
I just purchased an AR, Rock River "Predator", 20" Stainless barrel, etc.

I've been a fan of Leupold for many years, but right now I can't afford another 6.5-20x50 LRT or M4...

I'm looking for a $350-400 scope in mid-range magnification (4-16, 5-15, etc.)

I was told to take a look at "Meuller" but, I'm afraid you get what you pay for, to "cheap", maybe.....

I have 2 of the Bushnell 3200's, 5-15x40 and 50mm's. Both are very nice scopes for the bucks... I just thought there might be something else to look at?

I had a 4200 in the higher mag, 8-32, I think.... but sent it back, there simply wasn't enough vertical adjustment for some long range shots.

Does anyone have an ideas for some mid to long range coyote scopes.... Bright, clear, not to fussy eye relief and not to much money? lol.....

Posts: 289 | Location: Holladay,UT (SLC) | Registered: 01 June 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Look at the Burris Signature and Nikon Monarch scopes.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cheap optics--when they break--and they do-are no longer so cheap.

Posts: 1289 | Location: San Angelo,Tx | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For $400 or so you can find a Leupold VX-II 6-18.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
and Nikon Monarch scopes.

+1 You will be very amazed at what you get for the $$$ with the Nikon Monarch.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+ 2 for the Nikon!

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Make that another vote for the Nikon. thumb

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9408 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AI22-250
posted Hide Post
I noticed that the price on the Nikon Monarch's in the higher variable magnification is within a few hundred bucks of a Leupold of similar specs. I have a couple of the 6.5-20x50mm LRT (VXIII) with the varmint reticle. I have been a Leupold man for about 35 years now....

I also have a couple of the Bushnell 3200 Elites, 5-15x50mm, that are nearly as bright and clear as the Leupold at less about a third the price.... Are the Nikons on a par or better than the Leupolds, or is this subjective, " In the eye of the beholder".

Until I make up my mind, which scope to get, I've taken a 3.5-10x40AO Vari-XIII off of another rifle and switched it over to the new one, however, now I have another problem.....

The scope won't zero.... It's low... I can "shim" the rear scope mount or buy another set of rings, but I can't remember which brand has the "adjustable" inserts. Can someone help out....

"Any society that will give up a little liberty to gain a little security deserve neither and will lose both."
-Ben Franklin

Posts: 289 | Location: Holladay,UT (SLC) | Registered: 01 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Burris makes the rings with the plastic inserts. You can get an insert set of various thicknesses to make your gun and scope combination work. Look at Midways web site for info.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Esldude
posted Hide Post
Yeah, the Burris Signature rings with the inserts are a good product. They can do what a shim does without stressing the scope.

As for scopes, I too would suggest a Nikon Monarch or for a bit cheaper the Nikon Buckmaster. The Monarch's optics are better, but the Buckmaster is no slouch.

Posts: 852 | Location: USA | Registered: 01 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I picked up a VX III 4.5 to 14 with a varmint hunters reticle for ~ $450 at Bruno's shotter supply.

I just now looked and they want $560 for the same scope. Anyway, I do like this scope.

I also picked up the RR predator. Try the 50 gr Vmax from black hills (blue box). I think you will be very pleased.

Posts: 270 | Location: Cedar Rapids IA | Registered: 02 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AI22-250
posted Hide Post
OK, The more I learn, the more I need to learn....
In looking at the Burris Rings, I see two different style rings. At least the ones I'm intrested in.... Weaver and Picatinny rings....
The question is, will the Weaver ring fit and "Hold" in the Picatinny "Rail (base)"? Before I order rings I want to make certain the "insert ring" with the Weaver base will stay on......

OK, I did some reading and now think I understand that the "Weaver" style will fit the "Picatinny Rail" without a problem. I'll order a set of the Burris adjustable rings......

Thanks.....

"Any society that will give up a little liberty to gain a little security deserve neither and will lose both."
-Ben Franklin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Posted 21 November 2008 03:36 Hide Post
I noticed that the price on the Nikon Monarch's in the higher variable magnification is within a few hundred bucks of a Leupold of similar specs. I have a couple of the 6.5-20x50mm LRT (VXIII) with the varmint reticle. I have been a Leupold man for about 35 years now....

I also have a couple of the Bushnell 3200 Elites, 5-15x50mm, that are nearly as bright and clear as the Leupold at less about a third the price.... Are the Nikons on a par or better than the Leupolds, or is this subjective, " In the eye of the beholder".

Now you're catching on.
There are hundreds of scopes that will match or exceed the performance of a Leupy for less $.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now you're catching on.
There are hundreds of scopes that will match or exceed the performance of a Leupy for less $.[/QUOTE]

Yes, indeedy.

life member NRA (Endowment)
member Arizona Big Horn Sheep Society
member Arizona Antelope Foundation
member Arizona Wildlife Foundation

Posts: 146 | Location: Oracle, Az. | Registered: 01 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1274 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada.  | Registered: 22 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rub Line
posted Hide Post
Check out the FIXED POWER SCOPES thread. If you go fixed, you can buy top dollar glass for the price of a mediocre variable scope.

-----------------------------------------------------

Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you yourself will be just like him. Proverbs 26-4

National Rifle Association Life Member

Posts: 1992 | Location: WI | Registered: 28 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Zeke
posted Hide Post
Excellent scope for the money. http://theopticzone.com/detail.aspx?ID=3613

Another good budget priced scope. http://theopticzone.com/detail.aspx?ID=3252

Excellent mount for the money. Comes in both one inch and 30mm versions

http://www.armalite.com/ItemForm.aspx?item=EX0027&Categ...11-8859-bafe17a66e1e

ZM

Posts: 655 | Location: Oregon Monsoon Central | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you are intersted in a scope with target turrets, I would recommend take in a look at the Clearidge Ultra XP 4.5-14x40. You can see more about them at the link below.

www.theopticzone.com/clearidgescopes.aspx

Posts: 750 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 15 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AI22-250
posted Hide Post
Thanks Everyone --- I've looked at each and every reply and scope that you've posted.... Right now it's as clear as mud, but it covers the ground..... lol...

I'm heading out to my local sporting goods stores, to look through as many of the scopes as possible.... I've got a lot to pick from, it's a little overwhelming....

Like I said in the beginning, I've been a Leupold man for many years, I see that Leupold scopes are on sale right now, I guess they are coming out with a new line.... I'll take a look at them and compare with the others, Price, Construction, AO, knobs, lens', adjustment, (esp. adjustment). I hate scopes that have very little vertical adjustment..... I've got $4-500 to spend. I might even leave the Leupy on the AR for the time being and save a more for a NightForce.... lol....

Thanks Again Guys....

-Ben Franklin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought a Burris 4.5X-14X -42mm Tactical with adjustible parallax

nice scope and cost me around $415--not bad price for the scope

I own 4 Burris scopes and all have held up well.
I also use Leupold (can't go wrong with a leupy)---I think you can find a leupy in the $400-450range, of the mag you want that will work too

nothin sweeter than the smell of fresh blood on your hunting boots

Posts: 746 | Location: don't know--Lost my GPS | Registered: 10 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've seen a couple threads recently that highly recommend BSA scopes. Their warranty service is supposedly excellent Smiler

one of us
posted Hide Post
NIKON...........the best value for the bucks in optics out there!! Buckmasters..........compare them to Leupold VX 3's!(VX 2's and lower are equal to Tascos and such just cost a bunch more!) Monarch's..........Leupold can't match them in LOW LIGHT situations!BTDT and tested a bunch!! GHD

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
To clarify..............LEUPOLD was the best there was to be had 30,20 years ago for us in the U.S. Times have changed! Glass has changed. Nikon, Burris, Bushnell have changed with the times and there is nothing that they can't do(within reasonable reach of most of us hunters) that the Big "L" can do). So they make a funny looking scope that sits down on a barrel(VX-L)............is it any brighter than a Monarch that sits a bit higher?...............NO! Is it any better in definition to "edge of viewing field" than the Nikon of Zeiss or Pentax or Burris high end scopes?..............No! It just costs more and the name has it!! leupold used to be the cat's meow! No more! The others have made gains while the "Big L" stood still and got overtaken! GHD

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
AI,

The Sightron received a solid review from American Hunter several months ago, IIRC.

For your consideration another very servicable scope in your price & power range is the Weaver 4-16x42.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AI22-250
posted Hide Post
With the Leupy's on sale, a first, I think. They are on sale because Leupold is coming out with a new line. Does anyone know what the "New" line of Leupolds will be like and when are the coming out with them?

-Ben Franklin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Cabela's "Alaskan Guide" Scope on my 223 Bolt rifle
and I'm pretty much convinced it's actually a Sightron.

It's a 6.5-20 and when I was at Cabela's comparing it to other scopes I really couldn't tell the difference between it
and even the REALLY expensive scopes Kahles, Swaro, Zeiss, Leoupy, etc....

And at a price that was literally 1/3 of the Leupold and 1/6 that of the Swaro I was quite happy to take it home.
But when The salesman went to take one off the shelf there wasn't one! So I got the DEMO scope even cheaper.
($200 Vs $329)

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote