Find
Notify
Tools

VX-1 Stiff Power Adjustment
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted
I've got a Leupold VX-1 2-7x and it is a pain in the butt to turn the ring to a different power, it's really stiff. Has anyone else had problems with their Leupold VX-1?

I've already sent it back to the factory and they adjusted it to a be a little easier to turn, but it's still tough. Kind of disappointing considering the great reputation of Leupold. Frowner

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How stiff is "stiff"? The power ring has to be pretty difficult to turn in order for the power cam within the tube to maintain a very close fit which keeps the zero from wandering as the power is adjusted. I'm very suspscious of a scope which adjust easily, because it is usually a scope which will not hold its zero.

However, if you can't turn the ring without undue effort, then the cam is binding. Compare your Leupold with several others. If it is significantly more difficult to turn, then return it to the factory with a note detailing your comparison and requesting a replacement.

Posts: 13234 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
The thing is I have already sent it back to the factory and had them address the issue - still stiff. I can turn the knob, but it takes a bit of effort. I've considered even epoxying a knob onto the ring to give me some leverage to aide in adjusting the power.

The only other scope I'm familiar with is my Burris. I have both the Fullfield II and Diamond line, neither cause me any trouble trying to adjust and both hold zero. Maybe I need to find a place to look over some scopes and compare my Leupold to other ones.

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
I have the same scope and have the same problem and also sent it back to Leupold and it is still stiff - just like yours. I just live with it, but it's much stiffer than any of my other Leupold scopes. Seems like its the nature of the beast with their less expensive line of scopes.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2294 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
You didn't say what mounts you have it in. At least in Tally mounts with one ring very near the power changing ring, they can be VERY difficult to turn. I talked to Leupold about mine and they said the rings were to blame. I did put mine in different rings and the power was easier to change.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grumulkin:
You didn't say what mounts you have it in. At least in Tally mounts with one ring very near the power changing ring, they can be VERY difficult to turn. I talked to Leupold about mine and they said the rings were to blame. I did put mine in different rings and the power was easier to change.

Excellent point. You should check the stiffness without the scope mounted on the gun. It is certainly possible that the rings are either over-torque (not too likely) or misaligned. If misaligned the tightened rings will warp the tube and cause the power cam to bind.

Posts: 13234 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
I have them in Warne QD rings. I did suspect that it was possibly the screws were over torqued. I loosened the screws then tightened them back until they are just barely tight. That eased the stiffness up just a little, but still not that great. I'm contemplating getting a "cat tail" throw lever. A little pricey, but should give some leverage to make adjusting the scope easier.

One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
I have the same scope in Warne QD rings and they were tightened with the Warne torque device. The scope ring nearest the power adjustment ring is now about an inch forward of the power adjustment ring and function is satisfactory.

Is there any way you can move the rear ring forward a bit?

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
It is not at all unusual for variable power scopes to be difficult to adjust magnification on, IF:

The scope rings are screwed together too tightly, or

The rear scope ring is directly over part of the internal adjusting mechanism, or

The scope rings are out of alignment, or

The rings are not cut to the correct depth...making almost any tightening have the effect of transforming the tube from dead-true round to a tiny bit oval. And, of course, if the tube is forced even slightly out of round, the very close toelerance parts which must slide inside the tube to change magnification don't really have the room to do that correctly and easily.

The first thing I would check is how easily the scope adjusts when it is OFF the rifle entirely. If that adjustment is not too difficult, then clearly the problem is somewhere in the mounting.

Many rings are cut so shallowlly that they need to be lapped closer to the full 1" diameter. Brownell's sells a lapping kit which is primo for doing that work, as do many others such as Sinclair, etc.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
I have the scope rings forward as best I can, but it's on a CZ action in 375, so there's not really much wiggle room to begin with. With the scope off it's okay, nothing great though, about the same as what I have it at now after loosening then barely tightening the screws.

One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
Very interesting. I originally had mine on a CZ 550 Safari Magnum in 458 Lott. In the Talley rings, there is just barely enough room for the rings between the bell and the power adjustment ring of the scope.

Methinks you'll either have to be satisfied with one power setting or get a different scope.

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Interesting Indeed!

If the scope is still difficult to adjust the magnification power on with it out of the mounts, then the problem is plainly wihin the scope itself.

In that instance, I think I would write a polite letter to Leupold and send the letter and scope both to them in Beaverton. I would directly ask that they replace the scope with one which works properly, or refund my purchase price, as the scope is unusable for the purpose it was sold for, in the hunting field.

BTW, I have 5 Leupold 2-7X variables as we write these lines to each other. Mine all work easily and well, so I believe there is something wrong with yours.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys ... just my luck. Definitely leaves a sour taste in my mouth, may be going back to Burris scopes. Been hearing good things about Nikon too. Frowner