Find
Notify
Tools

Nikon Tunnel effect
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of SempreElk
posted
Looked at 2 brand new Nikons yesterday one was a 2-7x33 and the other a 3-9x40 Monarch. Nice looking scope and had nice adjustments..I just didn't realize how much black space is in the scope tube. Anyone else see this on a Nikon ? Leupold 2.5-9 that I looked at did not have this nor did a Swaro 3.5-10x42.

Working on my ISIS strategy....FORE

Posts: 1779 | Location: Southeast | Registered: 31 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
SempreElk, I've been noticing the same thing, otherwise they seem to be a pretty decent scope.

Call Nikon and they'll say, they don't know what you're talking about, been there, done that.

I've compared the Monarchs with Burris Signatures, and it's like night and day. Not even a hint of tunnel effect in the Burris. Jay

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
The majority of my scopes are Nikons, and I also use Burris quite a bit -- though those certainly aren't the only two brands you'll find in my safe.

But I have never noticed the "tunnel" effect as some claim. If it's there, it's certainly not distracting. But I will point out that I do make certain that my scopes are set up for optimum eye relief and that the stock-to-scope-height (and thus eye-to-scope's centerline) is correct. Without proper alignment and good shooting stance, there's no way to get true consistency when it comes to accuracy.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9341 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have also noted the "tunnel effect" , particularly on the 2x7 Monarch . Also quite noticable on my Buckmaster 4x14sf. And it hasn't got a thing to do with proper eye allignement or shooting stance.

Posts: 1660 | Location: Gary , SD | Registered: 05 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SempreElk
posted Hide Post
Well I focused both Nikons and they still had that effect. The Leupold and Swaro did not display it and I never bothered to focus them.

Working on my ISIS strategy....FORE

Posts: 1779 | Location: Southeast | Registered: 31 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll agree the 2x7 Monarch has a lot of "black ring" but I don't see it nearly as much on the 3x9x40mm Monarch.

Posts: 498 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 13 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yup-
I've experienced the "tunnel effect" with the two Nikons I have owned. Didn't like it much.

Posts: 314 | Location: Pagosa Springs, Colorado | Registered: 21 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Esldude
posted Hide Post
Seems over stated to me. They do have some extra black compared to Burris or some others. Then again, Burris tends to have a bit more field of view.

There really seems little bother. I am looking at the image, not the black edges. And what I see in the magnified image is quite good to me.

Posts: 852 | Location: USA | Registered: 01 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Elsdude wrote:
quote:
There really seems little bother. I am looking at the image, not the black edges. And what I see in the magnified image is quite good to me.

Well-stated -- and I couldn't agree more.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9341 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Esldude:
Seems over stated to me. They do have some extra black compared to Burris or some others. Then again, Burris tends to have a bit more field of view.

Just depends on your preferences. I hate the black ring or tube effect and won't own a scope that has it. There are scopes out there that have very high optical quality with very little ring around the image. That's what I prefer.

Posts: 498 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 13 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
I own several of the Nikons as well as many other brands. I've never even noticed the so called tunnel effect even in the 2-7. I guess the only scope I have that there may be a little of the tunnel effect is my Nikon 2x pistol scope but it's so far away from your face when fully extented just about any pistol scope blacks some if you cock it to one side or the other. If you have the tunnel effect then your scope is not mounted properly. There's a big difference in just holding a scope and looking through it compared to when it's properly mounted on a rifle.

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote