New
Find
Notify
Tools

Leica 10x42 Geovid BRF ???
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does anyone have any experiences with these binoculars/rangefinder? Is it true that the lenses are not coated with the same quality coating's as the regular Leica? How is the quality of the built in rangefinder?

I have heard comparisons that the "old" geovids were much heavier, when did they change the design?

thanks

Posts: 186 | Location: langley,BC | Registered: 07 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Maxx:

I have tried this rangefinder. It is better than the LRF models, but not as good as the old Geovid IMO.

Do a search on the subject and you find some of my old postings. I think a review I wrote is posted on my website now.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
I have had one for a year and am very happy. I don't think the lense coating are any different than other Leica Products. I can range better with these Binos that with the Leica 1200 range finder. I think that the binoculars provide a more stable platform than the smaller range finder which gives better readings. I have never used the old Geovid so I can't comment on that part of your question.

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Maxx, I have the 10x42's and I love them. The optical quality is superb. I did not have the old Geovids, but I have looked through them at the same setting with mine and can't tell much difference, except that perhaps mine were slightly brighter--maybe because my friends old geovids were just that--old and well used, so perhaps some minor surface scratches and dust accumulation after the years??...

As far as rangefinding goes, I totally agree with ROSCOE, I have the 1200 handheld as well, and these work better more easily. Highly accurate to way out there--confirmed at 1200 yard rifle range, and with some impressive shots at range by myself and coharts.

I have all the high end Swaro Bino's and these are optically as good, and they are all I tote on a hunting trip anymore.

Regards--Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the informative feedback guys, you have made my decision much easier.

Posts: 186 | Location: langley,BC | Registered: 07 February 2005Reply With Quote