Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Comact variable scope
 Login/Join

posted
I am putting together a lightweight rifle to hunt whitetails in Idaho. It's a Remington M700 LVSF 7mm-08. I'm putting Talley lightweight rings on it and I want to put a lightweight compact scope on it. I'm thinking about a Leupold VXII 2-7x33 and a Nikon Monarch 2-7x32. Is one significantly better than the other? Also, where would be a good place to purchase one? Thanks in advance for any info.

one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
A lot of my clients with custom built lightweight rifles have Leupold 2-7's on them.

I'm sure some others will have better advice on where to get a deal than me.

Kyler

Posts: 2504 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
The optics zone has them. I don't know if its the best price but they have free shipping and some free goodies for leupold orders over 300.

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Either one is a great scope. But if you buy and sell or trade a good deal stay with Leupold as they hold there value better in my opinion.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6605 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bear Basin Outfitters has very good deals on optics. You can find them on-line.

Posts: 2247 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Both the older Vari-X II 2-7x28 and the later IIc 2-7x33 have given me excellent service on a number of rifles. I have a 33mm mounted on a (too light) .375 H & H and it takes the punishment in stride. I see no reason that the VX-II successor shouldn't be just as serviceable. In fact, you could save eighty or a hundred bucks and go with the VX-I and do as well, provided you're not married to "click" adjustments.

Posts: 13236 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
for what its worth you might be better served with a fixed 4. It would shave some oz and plenty functinal up here. (or a 6x if you are hunting the desert)

Posts: 496 | Location: ME | Registered: 08 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A compact light wieght scope? Nobody metioned burris shortmag scopes? Those would work well.

Well polish my balls and serve me a milkshake!

Posts: 325 | Location: Cordele, GA | Registered: 24 September 2004Reply With Quote