Find
Notify
Tools

Night vision question(s)
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of hm1996
posted
I am looking for night vision optics to be used in coyote control. The ranches I am working have both exotics and endangered cats (ocelot) making positive target identification imperative.

Originally, had planned on a rifle scope, but several have suggested the monocular or binocular to locate/ID, then switch on the red light for the shot. This makes sense, both economically plus wouldn't have to support the weigth of the rifle while scanning for a target.

To be advantageous, the device chosen must enable positive identification of the target (coyote or cat???) at 200 yards; farther would be even better. Using red filtered spotlights I can currently ID @ 150 yds, a bit more if animal cooperates.

Questions:
1) Has anyone used the Weaver Nightview "digital" monocular?

Weaver

Or the Bushnell 5 x 42 Stealth View:

Bushnell StealthView

Weaver makes no statement as to range; Bushnell lists "viewing range" as 1-600 ft. and claims images comparable to gen 2+. If the Bushnell will ID @ 200 yds, @ $340 from Midway, sounds like it might be more cost effective than regular NV scopes, but is a special order item and cannot be returned if not satisfactory.

Both use self contained infrared illumination which brings up the next questions:

2) Would a separate (more powerful) infrared light source improve range/clarity on this type of scope? I would assume so?

3) Would the coyote's/cat's eyes glow in infrared light?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Regards,
hm

2 Chronicles 7:14:
If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

Posts: 903 | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dom
posted Hide Post
Well, from my limited pocketbook, I personally think you're asking too much from NV unless you got a large pocket book and get Gen III or better stuff. Like you say, sure you can see as far as the eye goes, but it's the clarity, sharpness, picture that depreciates as distance increases. I don't have any experience with those you linked, they are Gen I. Basically, Gen I is $500 & under, Gen II starts at 1k, and the Gen III is 2k & up, up and away.

I don't think you'd get better clarity with a more powerful IR source.

And yes, I do think you will get glaring eyes on yotes w/IR, not sure on cats but also believe so. Not trying to discourage you, just offering my food for thought on what I've experienced, Waidmannsheil, Dom.

P.S. A binocular is always better than a monocular.

-------- There are those who only reload so they can shoot, and then there are those who only shoot so they can reload. I belong to the first group. Dom ---------

Posts: 728 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hm1996
posted Hide Post
quote:
personally think you're asking too much from NV unless you got a large pocket book and get Gen III or better stuff

Afraid you are right, but that's not the answer I was looking for. Frowner

Since Bushnell makes claim that their digital image compares with Gen. II+ I was hoping..............Wink

All joking aside, thanks for your thoughts on the matter.

Regards,
hm

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

one of us
posted Hide Post
hm1996,
we have used several of these night vision monoculars and binoculars, one thing for sure is you get what you pay for!
We found the best way was the opposite to you, we found them with the lamp and then shot them using a night vision scope.
Unless you spend $1000-$2000 dollars you are going to struggle to get one that will easily go out to 200yds, there are plenty that will enable you to see out to 200 but being able to shoot out to that distance is where the difference lies.
If you use a night vision scope then get yourself a infra red spotlamp, this will enhance your vision and enable you to see a lot further..
there are plenty of ex Russian military night sights on the market, try searching for "dipol"
we have one you can see out to 150yds without infra red, and this is only gen 1.
The longbow is the ultimate, but at $6000 is too much.

regards
griff

Posts: 1179 | Location: scotland | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hm1996
posted Hide Post
quote:
We found the best way was the opposite to you, we found them with the lamp and then shot them using a night vision scope.

Hi griff:
At what point do you make positive target ID? Is that satisfied with the lamp or with the night vision rifle scope?

My dilema is the distinct possibility of there being an endangered cat shame in the light as opposed to a coyote, making positive identification imperative.

Another problem I must overcome is that I hunt during the day, as well as nighttime. If I mount a NV scope on rifle, will have to either switch scopes or have a dedicated rifle depending on daylight or dark use.

What has been your experience with reflective eyes on dogs and cats using infrared? Do they reflect as they do using regular red filtered spotlight?

Thanks for your input. Appreciate the benefit of your experience, as it seems there are not too many folks using NV for varmint hunting. I'm sure the cost is one of the major hurdles, as you stated.

Regards,
hm

one of us
posted Hide Post
hm,
it is my experience that ALLeyes are reflective with a night sight.
We don't have big cats as such, just a few escapee's..
We identify them with the lamp, switch off then out with the rifle and NV, sorry to say its not a spectator sport...
The only product that I know of is the longbow which offers both night and day vision without the removal of the scope..

You could try a laser dot in combination with the NV to target your animal..
Mount the laser on your day rig scope and use the NV to see the target awkward but works a treat.
but DON'T have the laser reflect into the NV it causes permanent damage..
regards
griff

one of us
Picture of hm1996
posted Hide Post
griff:

Since I have absolutely no expereience w/night vision devices, and there are no local dealers to answer questions or where one might look through various models, these are probably dumb questions, but........here we go.

My night hunting is done either from a swivel chair mounted on back of pickup truck or from a stationary position on the ground. We set up and call a few minutes, then switch on the light and sweep the area w/halo of light, looking for eyes. Then try to ID and make the shot before the animal spooks and runs.

My main problem is positive ID, as crosshairs are visible using the light on my rifle but many times the animal departs while I am trying to satisfy myself it is not an ocelot.

The endangered cats I am worried about are ocelot; about the same size as coyotes. I can currently make positive ID w/rifle mounted light @ 100 yards or a bit more. Usually hunt with a partner who can switch on a 2 million candlepower spot, also w/red lens that enables us to ID out to 150 yards or so if the animal will cooperate a bit. Depends on animal's surroundings and how long he will stand when hit with the light. We can see eyes out to 3-400 yds, but unable to ID.

Thus the question as to glowing eyes. If they do glow in IR light, I would think an IR binocular or monocular would be useful to locate if the instrument will make the ID possible out to a couple hundred yards. Once located and identified would then switch on the rifle mounted light, pick up the eyes and shoot, using the regular rifle scope I now use. Having already identified target w/IR, target aquisition w/light would be much quicker. Does this sound like it would work in your experience?

Thanks again.

Regards,
hm

one of us
posted Hide Post
hm
One of the problems is that with any NV equipment the lack of colour makes it very difficult to ID your targets. The modern NV although good are usually not in the league that we need them to be in.
The ideal solution would be NV bino's and a top quality NV scope, but as I said before you get what you pay for..
I think the only solution that is within the grasp of most of us is a reasonable NV bino's and once you have spotted not identified, is to have the rifle ready to shoot then hit it with the white light and ID it in the scope, this is where a top quality scope comes into its own..
A quick search on google will bring up lots of night vision equipment, I can't honestly say that one is any better than the other, my eperience has been with ex russian military gen 1 gen 2.
We did have a gen 3 of an Iraqi tank big bulky think useless to man and beast and to be honest no better than a good gen 2..
If you buy a good gen 2 Bino's then use red light or IR to enhance it further.

options are

rifle with $1500 of nightsight spot with white light.

spot with $1500 of NV bino's shoot with rifle with whitelight..

I honestly don't think that unless you spend at least $1500 on whatever system you choose, that you will not get the quality you require..

regards
griff

one of us
Picture of hm1996
posted Hide Post
Griff:
Thanks a lot for your input. I would consider spending the $1500 if I was sure it would do the job. Of course, would prefer less costly solution, but, as you said, you get what you pay for.

quote:
We did have a gen 3 of an Iraqi tank big bulky think useless to man and beast and to be honest no better than a good gen 2..

Was the Iraqi tank Russian? Someone said the Russian gen 3 was about same as our gen. 2, etc. You mention your experience w/Russian NV; what was your opinion of it?

Cabella's sells ATN brand which I am told is Russian made.

Regards,
hm

one of us
posted Hide Post
hm
some of the gen2 was better than the early gen3, the tank sight was no better than our homemade gen2 monocular, don't know if it was Russian.the whole thing was about 30" long and weighed about 15 pounds, getting the batteries for it was difficult, we had to send of to a France for them..
The gen2 that we have worked with are okay out to 120yds-150yds beyond that they become very grainy.
one thing that you have to take into consideration is that the majority of NV mount on dovetails and so are susceptible to recoil.
try these people:
www.nightvisionexperts.com

regards
griff

one of us
Picture of hm1996
posted Hide Post
Griff:
Thanks for the link! Lots of answers there; will spend the weekend doing my homework.

I see they have the IR spotlights, also. Had wondered where these were available.

Regards,
hm