New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scopes for magnum length actions
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello. I own a Heym rifle with the magnum length action. Hard to find scopes to fit. I currently have a Leupold 3x mounted on it, but had poor results in Zimbabwe with it in low/flat light situations. Sworo, S&B and Zeiss all have a straight tube scope option that will fit. What other brands that I am missing? And will going from a 20mm lense to a 24mm lense make a large low light difference with the 30mm tube? I am now looking to the Leupold VX-5HD 1-5x24. I welcome comments please. Thanks. Gary

Posts: 461 | Location: central California | Registered: 26 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Leupold also has a straight tube option. On my M70 .375 H&H I mounted a VX6 1-6 Illuminated, 30mm tube which works adequately in low light. I think it has HD glass which also helps in that respect.
Another consideration is the bases you fit to the receiver. I have Talleys on mine which, being reversible, allow adjustment of the distance between rings which can help achieve the ideal eye relief. These same bases and rings also allowed me to mount a Swarovski Z6 1.7-10X scope ( 30 mm tube ) with a 42 mm front objective. Due to the frontal lens housing size there was less scope tube movement for eye relief but it still worked OK. However, I preferred the Leupold scope and settled on that. For the max distance I shoot this rifle 6X magnification is all I needed.
Going from a 20mm to 24mm frontal lens makes some difference but I believe higher lens quality makes more difference that can actually be seen, in low light particularly.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2013 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You didn't ask this, but the vx6 has a heavier reticle than the vx5. If that matters to you. They have a firedot vx6 duplex without the CDS dial on top. https://www.leupold.com/patrol...ot-duplex-riflescope

Yes the 24mm, together with the better glass and coatings, will make a difference, it's a mathematical surety.

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Another way to look at this is through the mounts.

I bought a little Kahles Helia Super 27 for my Sako .338 and found it was too short for the magnum action. However, Jack Millar put Redfield JR mounts on it with an inverted front extension ring. Though that doesn't sound all that secure, that set-up stayed rock solid for 33 years.

What calibre is your rifle? If it's a big one, I'd be more worried about modern scopes than extension rings letting you down.

Posts: 4952 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with S338. They’re quite expensive but mounts like the QD swing/pivot mounts made by EAW and Recknagel generally include an offset front mount. This allows you to fit short tube scopes that are common these days.

Posts: 499 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 19 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The rifle is a 375.

Posts: 461 | Location: central California | Registered: 26 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Thanks JFE and Gary,

A 375 magnum is getting up there and I would worry about recoil on modern hunting scopes with their articulated erector tubes.

Good old scopes without these abominations can still be found but you have to hunt for them like some elusive trophy species. (I can give you hints as to where to look if you want.)

Though such scopes are finally rising in value, they are still cheap by comparison. Some of your savings, though, then need to be spent on getting a competent gunsmith to mount them straight so the reticles remain centred.

The benefits are not just much greater strength and reliability but better FoV/eye relief/compactness and the absence of tunnel vision. These are important attributes when hunting dangerous or wary game.

Posts: 4952 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Picatinni bases solve this.

The rings can be moved at will anywhere to fit.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66923 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
Picatinni bases solve this.

The rings can be moved at will anywhere to fit.

And, maybe need to be sure the Picatinny rail wont interfere with brass ejection or quickly top loading the magazine ... ? Wouldn't want to create a new problem in solving another.

Posts: 2013 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The action is built to accept CZ rings. I really wanted an early S&B or Swarovski non electronic straight tube scope can’t find one. Looks like I am going to try the VX 5 1-5x24 or the VX 6 1-5x24 firefly. Thanks for all of the help. Gary

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you're still considering Swarovski have you tried Europtics (spelling ?). Can be a little more spendy but usually hold good stock.
Also, forgot to mention in my earlier post that Kahles also offer a straight tube option. I don't know how they compare optically and you would need to google US suppliers but might be worth checking out ...?

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Obsessing about differences in the optics of high-end scopes is like sewing fly-buttons on flies. Long eye relief can be important, though, but has long been dissembled in makers' tables for their variables. Flexible 'eye boxes' are also needed on scopes for dangerous or wary game.

Swaro may have a mechanical advantage in that their helical springs are likely more reliable than the conventional flat erector springs. All such scopes now have erector tubes, however, so I wouldn't trust any of them.

one of us
posted Hide Post
extension rings solve this problem, Dont blame the scope and those rings are readyly available...

The Leupold 3x has more eye relief than most scopes, and gathers more light than most..Had one on most of my big bores over the years...Iwill trade you a nice 1x4 varible for your 3x or whatever or buy yours if the price is right..They really suit me on about any rifle..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
I haven't got a 3x, Ray, but would gladly swap my 2.5x (M8) Compact for that special 2.5x Leupold made for you - and give you a cash adjustment to cover US postage and the rarity of yours.

My scope is in excellent condition and, having come from another collector's collection, may never have been mounted.

Cheers

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sambarman,
I just now read your post fr0m 2009? 15 years ago old friend!!

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
I was posting on AR 15 years ago, Ray, but regret I can't remember that particular post. You have been a profound influence on my life and writings over the years since, though, so God bless you.