THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM OPTICS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Optics    Need help w/windage and elevation adjustment on Simmons 44 Mag scope?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need help w/windage and elevation adjustment on Simmons 44 Mag scope?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Arkapigdiesel
posted
I just mounted a Simmons 44 Mag 6.5-20x44 AO with target turret adjustments on my rifle. I got out my laser boresighter and put it in the end of the barrel and I adjusted my elevation all the way and it's still a little low of bullseye. This is the first scope that I've owned with the target turret adjustment....I can't get my crosshairs raised high enough to make it dead on at bullseye. Is there another adjustment that I can do to make the elevation go any higher?

Posts: 91 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 07 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As much as I love and use them, laser boresighters (like any bore sighter) are not 100% accurate and precise...especially the ones that stick into the muzzle. The calibration on that type can be off and you’ll never know it since the beam doesn’t have to project down the bore like the cartridge styles do. The spud can also cause huge variances if it is not perfectly concentric with the bore. A tiny amount of mistake (off alignment) at the muzzle can cause a huge difference down range.

Try firing a group or two to see how off the cross hairs really are before you start panicking.

If the scope truly has run out of adjustments you can either shim the base or go to the burris elliptical inserts to try and correct for it.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am currently having the same problem with a Leupold Vari-X II 3x9-40. I cannot raise the point of impast high enough before I run out of adjustment with the scope. I am planning on purchasing a set of Burris rings with the plastic inserts. I am hoping that this will allow me to mount the scope in such a way that the adjustments will be closer to centered.

Posts: 527 | Location: Tennessee U.S.A. | Registered: 14 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What kind of rifle is it, and are you sure you have the correct bases?

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
<cobra44>
posted
Make sure you do not have the front and rear rings reversed, that will mount the scope on an angle and could damage the tube. just food for thought.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Keep in mind that if the windage is ajusted way to one side it will restrict the elevation and vica versa.

If the rifle shoots off then you will have to get adustable mounts or shim the existing ones.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote