Find
Notify
Tools

Tactical flashlight for hunting?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Gents!
I am looking for a good and lightweight flashlight to mount on a rifle to be able to shoot out to 100 yards.

It will primarily be used for "seek & destroy" missions on traffic injured animals or while tracking wounded animals. Another task will be to kill trapped animals both in snares and in a cage.

Is there a proper english word for tracking and killing wounded animals or do I have to use a full sentence to describe the task?

I would prefer if it can withstand the recoil from a .375HH and if it can be mounted on both the scope and under the barrel. I will use it both on a .22 hornet and a .375HH and depending on the barrel thickness I can foresee some changes in POI depending on where the light is mounted. Therefore I would like it to also be able to mount it on the scope.

The smaller and lighter the better. A 1" tube is preferrable.
I have looked on some of Surefires models, as well as Discovery 2 with a Cree Q5 LED and 220 Lumen.

Are any of these good?
Other brands?

All input is most appreciated!

Sincerely

/Daniel

Posts: 271 | Location: 68°N, Lapland Sweden | Registered: 17 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Over the past couple of years, several good, bright LED flashlights have been introduced that use AAA or AA batteries instead of the expensive and short lived "123" batteries. There are also a few "123" LED units out now that offer better battery life. We use them for hog and predator hunting, so burn time is importmant.

I own a Coast T7-200 Lumens-runs 64 hours(not minutes)-works well out past 200 yards-$65 US

T7 Link-Click Here

A good "123" option:

Elusive Wildlife Tech. "Kill Light"

EWT Link-Click Here

Good Hunting,

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I posted the following review on another forum of an LED torch I have just recently purchased. It is my first and I don't use it as a "gun light" so I don't have experience of other models but perhaps it might give you some ideas. Certainly I have been impressed with the performance and I was out last night using it to spot deer eyes in the dark at some impressive ranges (I was just observing not shooting)

http://www.thestalkingdirector...ch-review-Fenix-TK15

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gents!
Thanks for replies!
I went to my little brother today and ate some cake since it is his birthday and he had just bought himself a discounted Led Lenser H7 lamp and showed it to me.
Now I have one too! Web-price is ca € 70 and I paid € 25 today.

So far it looks excellent and I cannot wait to order the T7 since it has 200 Lumens instead of the 100 in the H7. The T7 seems to come in a special kit for rifles too.

Sincerely
Daniel

Posts: 271 | Location: 68°N, Lapland Sweden | Registered: 17 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
The Surefire scout is great and comes with the mount built in but There are quite a few lights that will work for your purpose.

Here is how I have mounted them on my 458 and my kids 375 Rugers

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4202 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scubapro
posted Hide Post
Well, if You want to shoot with it, I would definetly take a Xenon lamp. Why? Because the Xenon bulb offers You the full spectrum of light while LED´s just give You a nearly monocromatic light - could be OK, but not in every case.

So my suggestion would be a Surefire 9P
maybe with the "hot" P91 burner. You could also use it with a red lens cover and it is still strong enough.

Second choice for an all-around LED flashlight with "just sometimes used as a wepaonlight" I would suggest the 6P LED

or for the meximum light output the LX 2

But to be honest: as a weaponlight, take a Xenon bulb! and forget most brand´s Lumens: they are just 50% true. a Surefire with 80 Lumens is as bright as a Fenix with 180 Lumens... so don´t trust them. Many others have a bad beamshape, such as Ledlenser (Sorry Bob to say) with their shifting beamshape - which ends in bright and dark rings in the beam...

If You have more questions, please feel free to email me at info (at) titanium-gunworks.de

THX Klaus

life is too short for not having the best equipment You could buy...
www.titanium-gunworks.de

Posts: 759 | Location: Germany | Registered: 30 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I picked up a streamlight for my 6.8 that has an acog on it; buddy making a block for it then I'll try her out. We've had a couple wolves coming into our garbage cans at 3 am. My house dogs (plotts) smell them through the permachinked logs and wake me up. It's hard getting the window opened up quick enough on them; but they come back every week or so. They must be awful hungry, as we always have had wolves around, but never had any getting into garbage cans. Biggest tracks in snow are 5 1/2 inches long and I had to actually see them to believe it wasn't a loose dog. Thought about setting snares but don't want to upset neighbors who have dogs and been through that with a trapper many years back.

I'd like to get a night vision scope but so high priced, not realistic. I saw a laser light that mounts on top of a scope in Midway catalog. Called a green laser designator by Laser Genetics; only 300 bucks. Anybody seen that ND3 or ND5 or own one; happy with it? I have illuminated reticles but then can't see target when it's real dark.

Posts: 521 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 12 April 2010Reply With Quote