New
Find
Notify
Tools

505 Gibbs and Swarovski 1-6 EE illum
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone use this combo? Will it hold up? They seem to on my lightish Lott but thought I would ask before I tried it. 505 destroyed the electronics in my trusty peltor comtac hearing protection lol.

I know it would get fixed by swaro but would like any experience

Thanks

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2855 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
No experience with that set-up, but it would cvertainly test the scope's internals. Big Grin

Unless you require magnification, consider a Trijicon Dual-illuminated RMR.

Available with a number of different reticles, they have no batteries and no electronics.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
I have no experience with scopes on rifles that big but Swaro certainly claim their use of four helical springs behind the erector tube allow theirs to withstand heavy recoil.

While the scope may outlast the average .505 shooter's nerves, I wonder if the fore-aft inertia movement that those springs would appear meant to counter will eventually cause wear in the mechanism, anyway, possibly ending in some tendency to parallax.

Personally, I think the helical springs' main purpose was to get around the chattering and lateral twisting of flat erector springs when turrets are wound to extremes. IMHO a better answer to heavy recoil is to limit the inertia load to a small reticle assembly held securely, such as shown in the dissected Nickel scope (on green background) about a third of the way down the thread below:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...43/m/4821083332/p/82

Posts: 5106 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote