New
Find
Notify
Tools

Leica Geovid..?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have and LOVE my Leica Trinovids and 1st generation rangefinder but I would prefer to have them both in one instrument IF they are just as good (or better) as having them separate. Also, would you get them in 8 X 42 or 8 X 56? Thanks!

Posts: 297 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 13 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I went the same route and I've never been sorry. I went for the 10 x 's and would do the same if I had to chose it again.

Posts: 158 | Location: Bloemfontein, South Africa | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Riaan! Anyone else have experience with the Geovid?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought a set of the 8x42 Geovids about five years ago and hunted with them each year. Last spring I thought I seldom used the rangefinder and sold the Geovids. After hunting without the Geovids last fall I bought another pair! The optics of the Leica glass are very good and it is extremely handy to have the binoc/ rangefinder in one system. I realized that I didn't use the rangefinder too much on game, but tended to range various trees, rocks etc while glassing so that when game was spotted I already was confident of the range. Obviously, I am impressed and recommend them highly.

One of Us
Picture of Dom
posted Hide Post
I've had the 10x42s for a few years now, fully satisfied they are very nice. I hope they last forever 'cause I don't plan on getting anything else anymore. They eliminate one extra piece of equipment, since the rangefiner is built in the bino and at the touch of a button you know how far that rock or deer is at 387 meters or whatever. I have ranged over 1200 meters, but as you get over 800 meters conditions and target will very on whether you get a reading or not, Waidmannsheil, Dom.

-------- There are those who only reload so they can shoot, and then there are those who only shoot so they can reload. I belong to the first group. Dom ---------

Posts: 728 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a pair of the 8 power and love them. I demo'd a pair of 10 power but found I spent a lot more time focusing than with the 8s. I have a pair of Swaro 10 power ELs that have not been used since I goth the Leicas.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
FYI, We are still offering the members here a $250.00 additional discount on a new Leica 8x42 Geovid so your cost after the discount is just $1549.99. In your case I'll also throw in an Alaskan Summer Ale @ Henry's in St Paul Harbor in late july when I am out there fishing dancing

Have a great day,
Doug
gr8fuldoug@aol.com
Camera Land
516-217-1000
www.cameralandny.com

Posts: 3648 | Location: Old Bethpage NY | Registered: 08 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kenati
posted Hide Post
Ahhhh crap, Doug! That may just be the impetus I was(not) looking for. Big Grin

I too have the Leica 8X42 Trinovid BN that I can't bring myself to part with. I used a Leica CRF 900 for one hunting season and loved it too. BUT having them both in one package... heaven.

All joking aside, thanks for the reminder. I'm not quite ready yet so I hope the discount holds out a little longer.

Posts: 1051 | Location: Dirty Coast | Registered: 23 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That's a hell of deal on those from Doug.

I've had a pair for about 6 or 7 years (8x42) and I don't feel right when I don't have them. The optical quality is great.

I range objects all the time while I'm hunting. It is really handy just having one piece of gear to do two tasks.

I've sold several pairs for Leica/Doug, by just letting someone use them a few times on a hunt. Two different antelope guides had to have a pair ordered before our hunt was even over after the used mine. That price is so good, I am thinking of ordering a back up pair--if I was working right now, I wouldn't even hesitate!

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the responses. Listening to a guide whos opinion I value very much I bought the Zeiss Victory RF 10 X 45 Bino. Should be here any day. Doug, drop me a line when you are on the way for your summer fishing trip. Folks are picking up kings for the past couple of weeks!