New
Find
Notify
Tools

swaroski ballistic turret?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
does anyone have any real world experience with this ballistic turret? is it easy to "set"? Pro's and Con's?

thanks

Posts: 186 | Location: langley,BC | Registered: 07 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have limited experience with this system, but the one time I used it, I was thoroughly confused when I originally attempted to sight the scope in. The BT came apart in so many parts, I was rather baffled. Eventually, I (think I) figured out how they all went together again, and scope was zero'ed (actually 2" high) at 100 yd. Then setting the rest of the distance rings was a breeze.

I hope next time will be easier, or maybe I'll have to overcome my aversion to reading instruction manuals... Roll Eyes

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Claret_Dabbler
posted Hide Post
I got a new Z6i a few weeks ago. Spent a couple of hours setting it up last Saturday. As per Mike, I was confused by the bits for a few moments, however, once the penny dropped it was easy. Strip it right down, set the initial zero, move the stop up to the zero. Then adjust the rings for range.

I have not played with it at range yet, but setting theoretical elevation, it has given me exactly what I expected. A 6" high POI at 100m for a 400m zero.

Have to wait for the weather to improve.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not out to get you....

Posts: 1484 | Location: Northern Ireland | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
great info, than you guys.

Posts: 186 | Location: langley,BC | Registered: 07 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BHW
posted Hide Post
I had my 6-18x50 AV converted to the BT. I actually read the directions before I started futzing around with it at the range. Setting it up was a piece of cake. I have used it at 300 range twice and moving it back to the 200 zero mark it works well. I still think I am having a "little" issue with the horizontal movement when I move it back, but the vertical seems to bring it right back to where it started. I am think ing about moving it to my 270 WSM from my 300 WSM to see if it works any better.

Posts: 261 | Location: Duncan, SC | Registered: 06 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of londonhunter
posted Hide Post
Have you tried using it in low light condition and you are ABSOLUTELY sure about which distance you are on and no doubts ? .................

Posts: 1661 | Location: London | Registered: 14 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BHW
posted Hide Post
Have not tried it in low light and yes I am absolutely sure which distance I am on. I set it up for a zero at 200 with the other three set points 300,400 & 500. I have only used the 200 and 300 set points. I may get an opportunity to test out the other ones on my moose hunt in October.

I think I will take the rifle this weekend on a hog hunt and see what it does at low light conditions. Good idea.

Posts: 261 | Location: Duncan, SC | Registered: 06 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BHW,

how much was the conversion to BT?

Who do contact for information?

Which riflescope can be converted?

Thanks for responding.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I called Swarovski when the first introduced the BT as I was hoping to get my PHs retrofitted. They said it was only available for AV series and the Z series.

That was two years ago, maybe things have changed...

one of us
posted Hide Post
BHW?

One of Us
Picture of Jcchartboy
posted Hide Post
Having had the opportunity to chose the Ballistics turret on a recent purchase for the same price as the BR reticle...I chose the BR reticle.

Having had multiple shot opportunities this year at whitetails scoring well over 150" from 200-400yds I can say with certaintly that the last thing I would have wanted to be doing when they showed up was playing with my scope turrets!

While I can understand some people prefering the perceived exactness of the ballistic turret, I think many fail to realize how little time they are likely to have in the field to range, judge, and shoot an animal at long distance in most cases. Once that animal shows up, I want to have him in either my binoculars if I am judging him, or my scope if I am going to shoot him. The last thing I want to be doing is looking away to adjust the scope turrets to achieve the same the results I can achieve while looking through the scope and using a ballsitics reticle.

Again..this is just my view and I realize others will disagree.

JC

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jcchartboy:
Having had the opportunity to chose the Ballistics turret on a recent purchase for the same price as the BR reticle...I chose the BR reticle.

Having had multiple shot opportunities this year at whitetails scoring well over 150" from 200-400yds I can say with certaintly that the last thing I would have wanted to be doing when they showed up was playing with my scope turrets!

While I can understand some people prefering the perceived exactness of the ballistic turret, I think many fail to realize how little time they are likely to have in the field to range, judge, and shoot an animal at long distance in most cases. Once that animal shows up, I want to have him in either my binoculars if I am judging him, or my scope if I am going to shoot him. The last thing I want to be doing is looking away to adjust the scope turrets to achieve the same the results I can achieve while looking through the scope and using a ballsitics reticle.

JC

I tend to agree.

In certain hunting situations, it is also common to have your quarry move about: just before he was 300 yds, now he is at 400, say. A drawback, IMHO, is the time it takes with a ballistic turret to adapt to such changes. A ballistic reticle MAY offer more approximate compensation, but it is quicker to use.

One advantage of the Swaro (and like) system(s), is that they can be calibrated to the trajectory of the particular load/rifle you are shooting. A lot of other ballistic compensation systems (reticles and click compensators) rely on generic ballistic curves to be "close enough" to match a whole host of loads. I don't want my compensation to be determined by what generic curves state, I want my compensation set up to match my ideas of when I want hold-over and when not. I also want it kept simple - e.g. zero at 300 yds, and compensation settings at 400, 500 etc. Not 260, 340, 465 etc.

The Swaro system is pretty versatile, but it is very possible for hunters to prefer ballistic compensation without clicking.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BHW?

one of us
Picture of BHW
posted Hide Post
Norseman.

Been out of town and out of touch.

My recollection was under $200. Just call Swarovski up in RI. It took about 4 weeks to get the conversion done. Best money I spent on a scope. I really like the BT. I have no issues making an adjustment to the turret setting when I know what the change is going to be. The BT is not for everyone, but I like it a lot.