New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nightforce Optics: Comments Requested
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am looking for a high power magnifcation scope. The scope is intended for varmint hunting and longer range target shooting. I am not price sensitive on optics but do not want to spend money needlessly. I would appreciate your opinion of the Nightforce product line. Who makes Nightforce optics? Are the scopes worth the price? Why do they weigh so much? Is Nightforce a new company?

Thank you.

Buliwyf

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
Buliwyf,

I mention this too often perhaps, but I've been to the factory and have looked through their optics but have never used them in the field.

A few observations:

LightForce is THE day scope for the Naval Special Warfare Command. Other companies sell scopes to the military, but the NSWC buys the best stuff available. HALO jumps put amazing stress on a scope...
The factory is the most impressive place I've been in terms of quality, worker esprit de corps, concern for the customer, etc.. This is after 18 years of manufacturing operations management and consulting and my collegues feel the same way.
The company makes their own straight tube scopes in their factory. The higher magnification scopes are made in Japan, shipped back to their factory in Orfino, Idaho and are rigourously tested, tested and re-tested.
The scopes are a bit heavy, it seems.
They test their scopes to TWICE the special warfare commands requirements.
They go to amazing lengths to match all of the lenses in each scope for maximum clarity. They have an impressive array of custom testing and assembly equipment.
My opinion is that they are great scopes for the price.

I don't work for NighForce, but wish I had the disposable income to buy one of their scopes.

Posts: 1067 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you mt Al. Great comments.

I don't have the income to buy one of their scopes either, but that has never stopped me before....Ha Ha.

I'm trying to figure out the right reticle for my application and which of the higher power settings are best for my application. Do you think they have resale value?

B

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sdeshazo
posted Hide Post
I'm also looking at NightForce as a scope to put on a 300 Wby Mag I just picked up. I'd like to hear from someone who has hunted with a NightForce.

Posts: 224 | Location: St Augustine, Florida | Registered: 07 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Nightforce scopes are very good optically, just a hair below the top Swaro and Zeiss scopes but very good. They are relatively heavy but it seems that the weight was put to good use in making the scopes Hell for Stout.
My only real complaint is that the LED illumination is not easily adjusted in the field. You have to take a cover off and adjust a small potentiometer. Be sure and ajust the LED BEFORE you go hunting. I would suggest that you will want it a good bit fainter than you think at first. It looks much brighter in the woods than in the city.
You might be able to buy a better scope with US Optics but you will have to pay twice the price. For me the NightForces are the way to go, I have 3.........................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have three 3.5-15X50's on various rifles including a 338/378 Accumark! for long range hunting etc, this is the best choice.

A 5.5.-22x56 is mounted on a 300 RUM set up for long range roo shooting. Prior to buying the NXS's, I had S&B's. They have all been sold.....

Optically they are not quite as good as the S&B's but mechanically they are far superior, more range of adjustments and much more repeatable. The external finish is very low matte, not as attractive as the Euro scopes..................but unless you can afford a US Optics scope, buy a NXS thumb

Posts: 4011 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 19 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you check the equipment lists of BR shooters across the county you will find that two brands of scopes literally dominate that game. Leupold is by far number one and Nightforce is a fast rising second.

Varmint hunters are also discovering Nightforce scopes and they are becoming really popular.

Good design, great glass, and most importantly, wonderfully crisp resolution. Just my opinion, but optical instruments ought to have a bit of heft to them. I prefer the term substantial over the term heavy! Wink

A very well made product that will serve you well for a very long time.

Posts: 466 | Location: South West USA | Registered: 11 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just received a 5.5-22 to test; I put it on a .300 RUM. Will let you know how it works. It is heavy - the W/E knobs are large, but already love the tactile feel when you click them.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7575 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sdeshazo
posted Hide Post
quote:
AnotherAZWriter

AnotherAZWriter, that is the exact scope I'm looking at but can not locate a dealer around me so I can hold one. Please let me know your thoughts on the scope when you get a chance to get it in the field.

Posts: 224 | Location: St Augustine, Florida | Registered: 07 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
I own 5 Nightforce scopes and love them. DJ places them opticaly just below Swaro and Zeiss, I don't. I have one in 5.5X22X50 and love it, although my favorite is the 3.5X15X50

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DMCI*
posted Hide Post
Optics selections are really not valid until you have something to compare. These photos taken under similar conditions, illustrate my point. It appears that my preference for U.S. Optics is not unjustified based on the above recommendations. Reports from the field indicate that Schmidt & Bender and USO, however leave little to choose between them, but USO is American made.

The first scope is a USO SN-3 variable. The second is a well known competitor.

U.S.O. 3.8-22x58 with 35 tube on custom M700:

--------------------

EGO sum bastard ut does frendo

Posts: 2821 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 23 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nute
posted Hide Post
I have a nightforce nxs which is shortly going to be sold to fund its replacment, another zeiss diavari.

Its only personal choice but i find the optics better on the zeiss, the focus and paralax isnt so fussy, eye relief is more constant on the zeiss and the illuminated reticule of the zeiss can be adjusted without taking the thing to bits and messing about with a weeny weeny little screw which is dam difficult in the dark.

That said they are still good scopes, just not as good as the zeiss IMO. Wink

Posts: 7252 | Location: Ban pre shredded cheese - make America grate again... | Registered: 29 October 2005Reply With Quote