Find
Notify
Tools

Which Red Dot??
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted
OK I have a Ruger MKII Target. Shoot far more accurate than I can. I currently have a CHEAP 10+ year old tube red dot on it. While it still works I think it is time to upgrade. Tired of looking at a dot that is more like an !. As I go look at the 100s or Red dot options I'm nothing but confused.

I THINK I want to get away from the tube. Want something good quality but it doesn't have to be the top of the line either. The pistol is a plinker. Lots of paper, "soda" cans and varmints. Not competition.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ultradot or Matchdot. Hard to beat for the money. I just bought an Ultradot NIB on Gunbroker for $155.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Main difference on the Matchdot is the option to vary the size of the dot?

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd say basically that is correct, but I don't claim to be an expert on them. Woodrow can probably tell you more. The UD is a fraction lighter.

I've got a couple of them, but I needed one to try on the Sig Trailsides I've been buying like they're rare (they're not).

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There are plenty of decent tube type red dots. I have a couple of Tasco's. The main problem with the cheaper ones is that they "bloom" when you turn up the brightness. Additionally, in my experience a black aimimg point (target) shows the red dot better than a white aiming point. I have a couple of Ultra Dots as well, on my target and heavy recoiling handguns. I do not own a reflex type red dot sight.
Go out on a cloudy day, set the dot to it's minimum brightness ie. who have to search for it, and see how well the gun shoots. A dot that hits you in the eye may be great for IPSC shooting, but not for precision, where you need the smallest possible dot.
Peter

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10514 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
Main difference on the Matchdot is the option to vary the size of the dot?

That is correct.I have Match Dots on a 44 Mag and a 475 Linebaugh.They hold up very well.

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote