New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scope for .300 H&H
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Just picked up a pre-64 M70 in .300 H&H. The gun is currently without scope so... Suggestions?

Figure the gun will be used for Elk and Caribu, game out too far for an 06. I have a Leupold 4X on my 06 and like the scope. I also have an old Leupold compact 5X collecting dust and wonder if that would be appropriate for the 300.

Thanks

Posts: 870 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Boar Hunter
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the 300. Your 5 power compact would be good enough, it might be a little lacking in performance for low light. Idealy I would reccomend a leupold XVIII series scope in 3.5-10X with a 40mm objective for the mod 70. I'm not sure what year yours is, but most will take a burris standard base or a leupold dual dovetail setup quite nicely.

John

Posts: 1343 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 2.5-8x Leupold remains afavourite for me,if I want arig to balance nicely, thats what I had on my 300 weatherby, But I must admit the 4.5-14 Leupold I had on my.338win was by no means out of place for long range busting. It would be hard for me to pass up such a scope or similar, for any long range rig It would put together in the future. I kind of like the new 4.5-14x40LR Leupold with 30mm tube. It would be welcome on any rifle of mine be it a Titanium 270 up to a heavyweight long range buster such as the 340 Weatherby. But from what you say that you have been happy with your 4x, then the 2.5-8x sounds about right and would look really neat on your pre64 .300H&H in as set of Conetrol low rings. thumb

one of us
posted Hide Post
Since you already have a scope you might as well use that one. Don't know what a 5X Leu. Compact is like but it might have mounting problems tube length wise.

I have a Leu Vari-X111 3.5-10 on mine - gloss and it goes with the metal finish on the rifle but if buying a new one I would get matte.

If you buy a new scope get a variable with some magnification so you can enjoy shooting groups.

Have you got brass? I had a problem finding some but finally got a bag.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Guys, thanks for the suggestions. I am very partial to Leupold scopes. I thought about the possible problems with light through the 5x and think the 2.5x-8x a good compromise. Actually I am toying with the idea of just installing a Lyman 48 peep but that is not really a long range tool. (But it would be neat on a classic like the 300 H&H.)

Savage, Cabelas in Dundee has brass for a 300 H&H. I don't believe much ammo is available over the counter so reloading may be my only viable option. While we are at it, can someone recommend a good all-around load using round nose bullets?

Thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
Some ammo is loaded for the 300 H&H but if you do it yourself it's better.

I would not put a L 48 on there unless the stock is already cut for one.

Measure twice before ordering a scope that might be too short between the rings.

Loads

Join the NRA

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, I know about cutting the stock. I am having my stock man clean it up anyway. Someome stuck an ugly old shotgun recoil pad on it which will be replaced with an appropriate red rubber Winchester pad. He is also going to steam out the dents and refinish it. I am not really that worried about cutting for a peep sight unless it is a completely impractical thing to do for a rifle like this.

As for measuring for fit, I'll be taking it into a local shop where I do most of my business and work with them to make sure whatever I get will work.

Thanks for the load data.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If it has a Monte Carlo stock then you may not be able to see the irons unless a higher front sight is put on.

Join the NRA

one of us
posted Hide Post
Doublegun,

First off, congrats on a fine old rifle in a classic caliber.

My '57 Model 70 .300H&H wears a period Weaver KV 2-3/4-5x variable. I thought about swapping it out for something more modern with a bit more magnification, but finally decided to leave it as is. More power might be nice for punching paper, but 5x is plenty for hunting. If it fits, I'd suggest you mount the Leupold compact and go kill something with it.

Posts: 1927 | Location: Oregon Coast | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Are you talking about a Leupold Vari-X III 1.5-5X scope? If so, then yes, it is perfectly adequate for a .300 M70, but you may need extension rings for the short body. It is a little short on magnification if you are thinking of mostly 300 yard + shots, but then there has never been an elk or caribou that you can't see well enough to shoot when maginified 5 times, even at 400 yards.

I like the idea of keeping a vintage gun vintage. You could do worse than simply mounting a pristine Weaver K-4 or Lyman Permacenter on it.

If you want to upgrade to a modern variable, there is no place on a hunting rifle for a variable with a low-end power of higher than 3 or 3.5X, nor with a high end of more than about 10X.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
OK, looks like I was wrong. The old scope is actually a Leupold 2.5x, not a 5X. The tube is the same length as the Leupold VX11 1x-4x I have on my Ruger M44 Carbine. So,... Now I am thinking I could 1.) put the 2.5X on my Ruger M44 and put the Leupold 1x-4x on the .300 H&H, 2.) put a Leupold 4x on it, same as I have on my pre-64 M70 30-06, which I would have to buy, or 3.) put a Leupold 2.5x-8x on it, which I would have to buy.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Swapping the 2.5 for the 1-4X on the Ruger would work. The 2.5 is adequate for the Ruger ranges, and the 1-4 is better for the .300 than the little 2.5. An M8 4x would be even better, in my opinion on the .300, or the 2.5-8 either.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use a 6x36 leupold on my 39 mod-70 300 h-h and it worked great on the 2 antelope i shot this fall-although the 4x leupold it replaced always worked just fine.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A Zeiss Conquest 3-9 is a lot of scope, and if you want more twilight performance take Zeiss 3-12.

one of us
posted Hide Post
A 3x9, or maybe a 4-16x50 if you can find one that isn't too long in the tube and looks good on the gun would be my choice. I've got two 300 H&H's and I like the bigger scopes on them. That way if I need the extra magnification, I've got it.

Posts: 852 | Location: Austin | Registered: 24 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buster:
Doublegun,

First off, congrats on a fine old rifle in a classic caliber.

My '57 Model 70 .300H&H wears a period Weaver KV 2-3/4-5x variable. I thought about swapping it out for something more modern with a bit more magnification, but finally decided to leave it as is. More power might be nice for punching paper, but 5x is plenty for hunting. If it fits, I'd suggest you mount the Leupold compact and go kill something with it.

I have the same scope on my '56 M70 300 H&H.

Posts: 156 | Location: Brush Prairie, Washington | Registered: 04 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Straight 6x Leupold. I have had one on mine forever and have never found it lacking.
C.G.B.

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
A 2.5-10x50 ZEISS for such a caliber would be ideal IMO.
Adam C.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote