New
Find
Notify
Tools

Opinions Requested: Leica Scopes
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Leica only offers two scope models (I believe). Not a bad approach to the market. I'm sure the optical quality is excellent. My question is how is the overall performance of the Leica scope under field conditions?

Thank you.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scubapro
posted Hide Post
I have had those 2 modells in my hand at IWA show: I would rate them as cheap and not well made - sorry, in my eyes they were not worth the money Leica is asking (and I have a few Leica products on my own!!!). Even there is no technical advantage over their competitors, so I ask my self : WHY?

I would go and have a look at Swarovski scopes - they are proven and offer more value and the better optics then those new Leicas!!!

life is too short for not having the best equipment You could buy...
www.titanium-gunworks.de

Posts: 759 | Location: Germany | Registered: 30 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BHW
posted Hide Post
Leica makes a killer rangefinder in the CRF 1200, but Swarovski is a far superior scope for slightly less money.

Posts: 261 | Location: Duncan, SC | Registered: 06 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buliwyf:
Leica only offers two scope models (I believe). Not a bad approach to the market. I'm sure the optical quality is excellent. My question is how is the overall performance of the Leica scope under field conditions?

Thank you.

Which Leica scopes were you wondering about? Their spotting scopes are excellent but that might not be what you were referring to......................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scubapro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by djpaintles:
quote:

Thank you.

Which Leica scopes were you wondering about? Their spotting scopes are excellent but that might not be what you were referring to......................DJ

RIFLE scopes

but by the way: Leica spotters are nice, but they don´t offer any accessories and if You compare them with Swarovski HD ones, they are the better ones - and offering a broad variety of camera and other accesories...

www.titanium-gunworks.de

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, I am asking about Leica Rifle Scopes.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I looked at the Leica scopes years ago when they first came on the market and they were very nice. Am I wrong in saying that they quit making them and then are now selling them again?

Posts: 153 | Location: God's country Northern Minnesota | Registered: 29 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WWhunter:
I looked at the Leica scopes years ago when they first came on the market and they were very nice. Am I wrong in saying that they quit making them and then are now selling them again?

I believe the original attempt of Leica was to sell Leupold (?) manufactured scopes. That flopped.

I think this time around, the manufacturer is different - for all I know they might even manufacture some of the newly introduced rifle scopes themselves? But given their presence in that part of the market, I'm somewhat sceptical...

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glad to be made are of that possibility. I thought Leica manufactured its own.

Does Leica make its own spotting scopes and binoculars?

One of Us
Picture of scubapro
posted Hide Post
quote:

what I know: YES - and they are good and prooven, BUT what I had in hands of scopes on IWA, I would not choose a Leica rifle scope (it was cheap made, optics was not brilliant as the cheapest Swarovski is and mechanics was going hard and not smooth, no technical benefits, not even the same technical height like their competitors (no 6x zoom, no illuminated reticle, no rail mount, no ballistic turrent, and so on)- SORRY - there are no benefits over their competitors, a very high price AND they have not shown, that they could stand the test of time and RECOIL - building scopes and binos makes a big difference...

www.titanium-gunworks.de

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I KNOW they make their own binocs - for years they used to have an assembly plant in Portugal (I'm sure they have other plants as well).

I have never owned a Leica spotter, although I would dearly love to. I much prefer their focusing mechanism (Kowa like) to that Swaro uses, say.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PATRIOT76
posted Hide Post
In the USA, Zeiss Diavari can be found a good bit cheaper than SWARO Z6...Plus you get 1st focal plane reticle and a true #4 not 4a.. i like the swaro equal to the zeiss optically but not $300-$400 more. I bought a New 2.5-10x42 Diavari for $1350 with $100 Rebate. The comparable Z6 1.7-10x42 costs over $1800 new...plus the zeiss has lotutec

leica...not even in the game

Posts: 442 | Location: usa | Registered: 24 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DMCI*
posted Hide Post
I actually have one of the Leica Riflescope variables that I purchased a number of years ago.

My understanding at the time was that they were constructed by Leupold using Zeiss glass.

My opinion. Probably better overall than the run of the mill Leupold of the time, but not worth the 40% premium charged for it over top of the line Leupolds.

Came with very nice wooden case. Interesting collectors item and it generates interesting comments from fellow hunters.

Posts: 2821 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 23 September 2001Reply With Quote