New
Find
Notify
Tools

Unertl Riflemans Spotting Scope
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
About 12 or 15 years ago I bought an Old Unertl riflemans spotting scope ina pawn shop and used it regularly. Then for some reason I started using a more modern scope (probably Chinese) and the old Unertl sat . A friend died and left me his Leupold "top of the line" scope and I used it.
Recently I rediscovered the Unertl and I'm amazed by the clarity of the image. I can read the fine print on a target at 100 yds. It's a better scope glasswise than anything I've ever used. Of course It ain't waterproof but It will contimue to go to the range every week.

Anything Worth Doing Is Worth Overdoing.

Posts: 1275 | Location: Fla | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dr. Duc: I have a Unertl spotting scope that I have enjoyed for going on 20 years!
It is a thing of beauty optically!
It is heavy!
I used to take it Antelope Hunting in Montana and Wyoming and used it at my dinghily illuminated (constant gray skies and rain!) range in Seattle, Washington! Nothing could or does compare with it afield or at the range!
I have two eyepieces for mine. One is 20 power and the other is 27 power.
I hold it so dear that I do not allow others to come anywhere near it for fear of damage to it!
I relish bringing out my Unertl optics when some "know-it-all" type is getting wound up berating American made optics and lenses! They all "quiet right down" once exposed to the Unertl spotter! He-he!
My BV-20 Riflescope (20 power) is on a par optically with my Unertl spotting scope.
I have a friend who owned TWO of the HUGE Unertl Team spotting scopes! Now there is a special optic if ever there was one!
He sold one of these for $1,700.00 many years ago and I only wish I had bought it from him! My friend is down to one Unertl Team scope now.
I have a view here in SW Montana of several fields that Mule Deer, Whitetailed Deer, Antelope, Fox and all manner of bird life abounds in! And I have a 360 degree view of 7 different mountain ranges from my house as well!
That huge Unertl team scope on a big tripod would sure come in handy here!
Wishing you continued happiness with your Unertl scope!
I know I have resolved to never sell my remaining Unertl optics. They are simply to wonderful to be without and the prices they command today are almost shocking!
Long live Unertl!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A long range shooter/rifle builder/dealer here named Mo can use whatever he wants. He has or had just about everything and big Kowa's are popular on the team here for long range.

Mo uses an old Unertl most of the time. Being a true dealer he offered to sell it to me!

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love all things Unertl and have seven of their scopes now and a 20x54 spotting scope.

People at the range laugh at the spotting scope, until they look through it, then all they want to know is where I got it and do I want to sell it. Smiler

Unertl is going to start making the spotting scopes, as well as some of their other target/hunting scopes again, and I can’t wait for them.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I doubt that they can reproduce the quality that old Jno Unertl required for anything like a price the public can pay. The last factory repair was done by Mrs. Unertl herself.

Anything Worth Doing Is Worth Overdoing.

Posts: 1275 | Location: Fla | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Duc:
I doubt that they can reproduce the quality that old Jno Unertl required for anything like a price the public can pay. The last factory repair was done by Mrs. Unertl herself.

Actually with todays computer designed and machined parts and the better glass and coatings available they might just produce some that are equal or even a bit better.

I have one of the newer Unertl 10x Tactical scopes (same as the USMS sniper scopes) and the quality is outstanding.

John Unertl had the philosophy that scopes should be as simple as possible...and I totally agree with that philosophy. I have no use whatsoever for variable scopes, lighted reticles, or any of the other bells and whistles seen on just about all modern scopes today.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Varmint Guy, this is gdm41. I see you have a unertl BV-20???? I just recently bought one from a fella . Do you still have your's? I'm going to mount mine on a Winchester Mod 52D and use it for bench. I've tried and can't find any instructions for my scope and have a few questions about this scope. It is shorter, than other unertl's ( measuring only eighteen inches from end to end) Is this the same as yours. Thanks for any info you can share with me on this scope... gdmiller1@charter.net

Posts: 6 | Location: St Louis, Mo | Registered: 23 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Joe Young
posted Hide Post
I am down to 3 of the old Unertl scopes, A 2" 30X and two 2" Ultra Varmint 12X. I have never sold or traded one, although some thief relieved me of my 1.5" 8X atop my Martini hornet at the local range. I don't ever intend to let any more go, they are supberb. The personal issue spotting scope I had while shooting high power in the USAF was Unertl also, we shot the AF premium grade M1's. I would give my left nut to have them all back. I just sent one of the modern Bushnell Spacemasters back because it would not focus at all. I sure miss the quality of the scopes and service they had, the new company in Las Vegas is still putting off repair and production of the target scopes.

One little funny. After I read in a shooting magazine that John had died, I called the company for info on getting one cleaned. I talked with a guy for about two or three minutes and finally asked who he was, he said he was John and "To quote Will Rogers, the rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated!"

Posts: 107 | Location: Lake City, FL | Registered: 15 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
From Unertl web site:

Unertl History
The Unertl Optical Company is the oldest scope manufacturing company in the United States. It was founded in 1934 by German immigrant John Unertl, Sr., who was engaged in the optical instrument field from 1909 until his death in 1960. His experience encompassed many complex phases of true German precision instrument manufacturing for commercial and military use.

John Unertl, Jr. worked with his father and ran the business following his father's death. Besides designing and producing state-of-the-art riflescopes, particularly the renowned USMC Sniper 10X used by many law enforcement agencies and armed service branches, John Unertl, Jr. also designed and produced mirror mounts for military, medical and communication satellite use. John Unertl, Jr. passed away in 1998. Following his death, his wife, Elsie, continued in the long Unertl tradition of precision engineering and customer satisfaction until she sold the entire business in 2000.

From the beginning, it has been the undertaking of the Unertl Optical Company to offer to the American sportsman, law enforcement officer, military service member, and the aerospace industry ,optical equipment of the highest quality, using the latest technology. Extensive proactive participation by Unertl employees in every phase of the research, development, production and testing of each and every Unertl product ensures the continued industry-leading standards of the Unertl Optical Company.

Today, the same precision and attention to detail demanded by the Unertl family since 1909 continues. Leading experts with unparalleled formal education, shooting experience and manufacturing expertise all combine their considerable talents to produce the world's finest riflescopes, night sights and shooting accessories.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks for the history rick - I met john once years ago. and i still believe that he had forgotten more about optics and anyone yet knows.

Posts: 13442 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
thanks for the history rick - I met john once years ago. and i still believe that he had forgotten more about optics and anyone yet knows.

I love Unertl optics, and am still a big believer in John Unertl’s theory that rifle scopes should only be as complicated as they have to be in order to do the job...No silly bells and whistles on Unertl scopes...Just strong, reliable and optically as good as it gets.

I would love to see what either father or son would say about some the the new fad-scopes out there today that have just about everything short of wireless internet access and email capabilities!