Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to mount a pvs-22 on a bolt gun
 Login/Join

posted
I am having my Rem 700 rebarrelled. This gun is my primary hunting rifle. While doing this work, I would like to prepare the gun to potentially mount a night vision in the future. I like the idea of using a Day/Night sight such as the PVS-22 (http://www.nvdepot.com/scopes/muns.asp), however I do not want to mount it on the end of my Leupold scope, as pictured (http://www.atncorp.com/nightvision-daynight-atnps22-cgt-3-9x40).

Do any of you have a similar setup now. Should I mount a rail on the barrel as well as over the reciever? Any suggestion would be appreciated. I need to make this decision asap and do not know what direction to go.

On a side note, I like the PVS-22 because I can use it on multiple rifles without re-sighting it. Would anyone not recomment this type of scope?

Posts: 3 | Location: Birmingham, Al | Registered: 06 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Badger 306-59 towards the bottom of the page:

http://www.badgerordnance.com/...p.php?id=accessories

it mounts the pvs-22 to the stock rather than the barrel and maintains your free float.

posted Hide Post
This is a good idea, that I will consider. Thank you. However, it is primarily my main hunting rifle. I don't want to add any more weight to it than absolutely necisarry. There may not be a perfect solution to this problem. Any other suggestions?

Posts: 3 | Location: Birmingham, Al | Registered: 06 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
you might fab up a sleeve with a rail on it that would slide onto the barrel, or you can mount a secondary rail on top of scope rings, but it makes an awfully high mounting

Posts: 13444 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buckmaster;

Understand the PVS22 is primarily designed for LE/Mil use. Any application to a hunting rifle will compromise the handling qualities of the hunting rifle. At work we use the McCann mounts for these with good results. It may be more feasable if you can afford a PVS22 to buy another dedicated rifle. Unless you are hunting in an area that NV is legal there are very few hunting applications besides feral hogs, varmints etc.

Posts: 309 | Location: WV | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I am having another rifle built next year. It will be my dedicated tactical / target rifle. However if I spend the money on a quality night vision device, I want to be able to use it on all of my rifles without having to resight it. I will take a look at the McCann mounts. Do you have a link for them, or would you recommend a different NV device? I plan on using it primarily for hunting hogs and coyotes.

Thanks for the input.