New
Find
Notify
Tools

Leupold 50mm Objective on Ruger M77 Express
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I either read somewhere or was told that with a one inch tube, anything over 40mm was wasted money and glass. Supposedly a one inch tube cant transmit all the light that the larger lenses can gather. True or not?

Posts: 314 | Location: SW Missouri | Registered: 08 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
True as regards tube size, at least as it applies to 1 inch and 30mm but tube size has nothing to do with light transmission. The only thing you really get with a larger tube is more reticle range/adjustments plus assuming all things being equal which they rarely are, the larger tube will be a bit stronger. However, none of them can stand being used as a hammer.

False as far as objective lense size goes, a larger lense will allow more light to reach your eye, a higher magnification will allow less, again, all things being equal. Whether your eye can make use of a larger exit pupil (the amount of light coming out the ocular lense, the one you look into) is another question.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stonecreek
It is brewed in Pottsville PA and advertises itself as America's oldest brewer. I like the Lager but they also make a black and tan, a stout and I think an ale. The ale doesn't seem to be sold anywhere locally. They have been growing rapidly recently. The lager has enough hops in it to taste but doesn't have that roasted hop flavor like a Becks. Not particularly gassy, but has a decent head. The lager seems to be on tap almost anywhere you go in PA anymore. It is great because most PA dives never stocked anything I liked until it became popular. Even the better spots that carry imports don't sell enough to keep it fresh.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
Pardon my ignorance. Where is Yuengling brewed? Is it a pilsner, lager, dark lager, ale, or what?

America's oldest brewer, Pottsville, Pa. Here is their site.....beer

I think what I was drinking was their standard lager on draught but it could have been the ale.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Opps simultaneous posts. But a good beer anyway.

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
posted Hide Post
cobrajet
Gato has the physics right, but you can get quite an argument going as to whether it all makes any difference in the field. I personally haven't found any scopes over 40mm in my price range that were worth considering. If you are as big of a cheapskate as me you will probably be happier with a smaller scope.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
40mm in my price range

If you're discussing price that might be a different issue, but anyone who thinks a $300 3x9x40 Leupold gives you the image quality of a $1500 56mm Zeiss or a couple of dozen other scopes I could name, flat doesn't know what they're talking about. Some of us don't want to settle for "maybe good enough." As a matter of fact, the Conquest is better glass than Leupold and costs basically the same, apples to apples. I have no problem with not being able to afford the best quality, I don't buy beluga caviar either. I like good glass and think using lesser glass when the chips are down is not real wise but to each his own.

At least you drink a decent beer. Wink

xxxxxxxxxx