Find
Notify
Tools

ruger bases
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Tanoose
posted
why are the integral bases on the m77 at different hights. higher in the front so you use a low on the front and a medium on the rear.what the reason for this

Posts: 869 | Location: Bellerose,NY USA | Registered: 27 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tanoose
posted Hide Post
i am guessing because the front part of the receiver has to be thicker because of the barrelmakes that part of the receiver higher . its a 416 guidegun

Posts: 869 | Location: Bellerose,NY USA | Registered: 27 July 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
either the rings or the action would be .. even weaver bases for mausers show this trend ... would be a big hunk of steel on the back ring to make the base level

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39682 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tanoose
posted Hide Post
yes i see it was a stupid question i am so used to flat top leverguns . i guess all or most bolt actions are this way

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would venture to say that the reason deals with the manufacturing process used. The receivers on the 77 are steel investment castings and in general one gets much better results when the sections all have similar thicknesses through-out. This allows for uniform pour and cooling i.e. solidification. The front receiver diameter is determined primarily by the wall-thickness and the "swing" of the locking lug upward. The rear does not have this constraint and is a function of the bolt diameter. Thus the top of the receiver ring is above the top of the rear bridge for uniform thickness. Therefore, it is better to "take up the difference" in the rings otherwise one would need to have a thick rear top that could develop cooling voids and/or non-constant shrinkage. The ring differential is a pretty nice compromise...

Edward Lundberg

Posts: 343 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 13 July 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tanoose:
yes i see it was a stupid question i am so used to flat top leverguns . i guess all or most bolt actions are this way

I didn't mean that to be a snarky reply -- sorry if it came over that way

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39682 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote