Find
Notify
Tools

Leupold question
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of sherpi
posted
Hi, I am looking to buy a scope on a larger bore, a 9,3x62. or 416 rigby or 458 win mag. Now I have a Zeiss 3-12x56 but I dont have the money for another Zeiss. I am going to Minneapolis in november a plan to buy VX-III 1.5-5x20 or fixed 2.5 scope. Is the Leupold 2.5 ultra light good for big bore or should I take the variable.

Sauer and Zeiss, perfect match.
Sherpi

Posts: 134 | Location: Iceland | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sherpi,
First of all, I'm not really sure who started the rumor years ago, that a DGR required a scope with no more than a 20mm objective. These scopes look cool on a 416 but gather no freaking light at dusk and dawn! I would never use one of those, instead, I would look at a sworovski ph 1.5-6x42 or something similar. This set up is much better. My 2 cents......wapiti7

Posts: 663 | Location: On a hunt somewhere | Registered: 22 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
Well, unless I was actually going to use the rifle on dangerous game, I would pick a 3-9X variable. Of the two you mention, I would choose the 1.4-5X.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wapiti7:
These scopes look cool on a 416 but gather no freaking light at dusk and dawn!
A scope does not "gather" light, it transmits it. A low power scope with a 20mm objective at its lower range of magnification will transmit all of the light your eye can use.

You learn something new everyday whether you want to or not.

Posts: 1080 | Location: Western Wisconsin | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
how about a 3.5-10x40
not any bigger than a 3-9.
barely larger than a 2-7.

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I beg to differ sir.............

Posts: 663 | Location: On a hunt somewhere | Registered: 22 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sherpi
posted Hide Post
As I already have a 3-12x56, so I am looking for a light, smaler scope. So the choose was between the fixed one and the VX as the Zeiss, and the other Euro cost to much.

Sauer and Zeiss, perfect match.
Sherpi

Posts: 134 | Location: Iceland | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
You might consider the Leupold VX III 2.5-8x36... It will bring in a reasonable amount of light and still have a good power range... Would probably set you back about 400 U.S. dollars...

Ken....

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wapiti7:
Sherpi,
First of all, I'm not really sure who started the rumor years ago, that a DGR required a scope with no more than a 20mm objective. These scopes look cool on a 416 but gather no freaking light at dusk and dawn! wapiti7

20mm divided by 2.5X magnification = 8mm exit pupil. An 8mm exit pupil is larger than any human eye pupil, therefore an objective larger than 20mm cannot, by physical definition, provide any more usable light at that magnification.

It may be true, however, that higher magnification (which would require a larger objective to provide a full exit pupil) may provide better low light resolution than lower magnification.

Bottom line: Yes, the 2.5 fixed Leupold is perfectly adaptable to a large bore gun, having both good eye relief and a wide field of view. It will be a bit more recoil resistant than a variable, simply because it has no moving parts.

Will it give you adequate target resolution? It depends on the distance, but it is not handicapped by the small objective.

Now, let me introduce some heresy into this discussion: I have never heard of one of the scopes built on the original Leupold variable mechanism design (the Vari-X II, VX-I, or VX-II) failing from recoil. There are some anecdotal stories of the somewhat newer Vari-X III/VX-III design failing from repeated recoil of big bruisers. I would suggest that a VX-II in 1-4X or 2-7X would be a more economical, and perhaps more serviceable scope for you to consider.

It's too bad that Leupold no longer makes the original M8-3x. It was the perfect scope for big bore rifles.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Most of the scope "failures" I have seen were due to improper scope mounting and NOT the scope itself.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9358 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't use those heavy recoiling rifles but I ran a gun shop and had customers and friends that have used the heavy rifles and they like the 1.5x5 VXIII in good lapped steel rings/bases on the guns that they scope....very few problems ever reported and eye relief allows flexable mounting positions for safe shooting....hth..good luck and good shooting!!

bigdaddytacp

Posts: 687 | Location: Jackson/Tenn/Madison | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote