THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM OPTICS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Optics    Burris FullField II 3-9x40mm orVortex Viper 2-7

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Burris FullField II 3-9x40mm orVortex Viper 2-7
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've never owned either brand, always Leupold VariX-II, VX3, Tasco Titans & Euroclass and Nikon Monarch. Funds are a bit tight right now and I need a low power variable for a woods rifle. I'm trying to keep the weight down and I've never shot whitetail with a scope turned up over 6X, but have shot some at 3X. I've been hearing good things about the new Burris and the Vortex. I can buy either for less than $200. Opinions?

Posts: 336 | Location: Central PA | Registered: 01 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
vortex has good service response, burris doesn't

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought FullField II late one fall about 5-6 yrs. ago, mounted it on my .270 but never fired it. The next spring I decided to sight it in and I found what looked like a frayed shoe lace end running from 4 o'clock about up to the cross hairs.. I bought and mounted a different scope off a friend and set the Burris aside and didn't send it back to them until the spring of 2009 and explained what happen.. I don't remember the turn around time but in late June or July they sent me TWO new FullField II scopes.. After using these scopes I can certainly recommend them.. I have no experience with the Vortex scopes..

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Burris FFII is more on par with the Vortex Diamondback line. If you can get into the Viper for the same money, jump on it! Viper is supposed to be competing with the Leupold VX3 type scopes and I think they usually retail around $350. I must admit that I have never looked through one but for $200 or under I think I would give it a try.

Cheers,
Jason

But what do I know?

Posts: 62 | Location: Missouri, U.S.A. | Registered: 23 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
vortex has good service response, burris doesn't

I've heard that Vortex does indeed have good service.
However, my actual experience with Burris customer service was exceptional.
My boys tore the eyecups off my inexpensive Burris FFII binoculars. I called Burris and asked if they could be fixed with me picking up the tab. They said to send them in with a note explaining what happened. I did so, stating that my boys damaged the binos. Burris sent me a brand new set of binoculars for free. I now have alot more Burris products and have never needed service on any of them. If I did though I'm confident that Burris would go above and beyond to keep me satisfied.

Posts: 160 | Location: NE MN | Registered: 07 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
+1 for Burris! Never had a Vortex.

God Bless, Louis

Posts: 1368 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I mounted a FFII 3-9X40 on a 300 WSM, and it has been on that rifle just over 500 shots. After the initial sighting-in, the scope has never needed to be adjusted. The optics are bright enough that I hunt hogs during nights with a bright moon, and don't need spotlights to aim and shoot.

Posts: 203 | Registered: 09 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been using a 3x9x40 Burris FF II for quite a few years now and it's one of the toughest scopes I've ever seen. I would'nt hessitate to take it anywhere. I don't have any experience with the Vortex. Hope this helps.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the Burris. I have three FF II's and they have been great. I also had a Signature Series fail on me once before a hunting trip and they sent me a new scope before the trip while I was sending mine back. The one and only time I needed their customer serivce it was great.

Posts: 103 | Location: southern wisconsin | Registered: 12 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
While I was dithering between the 3x9 FFII and the 2x7 Vortex, I found a NIB Burris 1.5-6 x 40mm Euro-Diamond for 3 bills. This will be my first Burris experience.

Posts: 336 | Location: Central PA | Registered: 01 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That EuroDiamond is more than a few steps above the Vortex and even more above the FFII.

You'll like it.

Posts: 160 | Location: NE MN | Registered: 07 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, it's a moot point now but I have 3 Burris and they are all good.

For those not familiar with Vortex, I bought a Vortex Viper 3-9x40 from Cameraland on sale for $229.95. I have bad eyes but find the Vortex to be very good glass and really like shooting my 22/250 much more now than when it wore a Leupold VX II.

They also stuck a well made cap and some vacuum packed coffee in with the scope purchase. Merg

Posts: 351 | Registered: 18 September 2004Reply With Quote